Thread: Securing small hinges in hard-to-access location

Securing small hinges in hard-to-access location

I'm finishing up a router table, and I have a small access door on the side (to get at the switch wiring and top-mounting bolts). The opening looks like this:

IMG_0791.jpg

You can see I've placed the two hinges for the door where I want them. The opening is 3-1/2" high. I can get into that spot with a small routing plane to make the mortises, but I can't really figure out how to drill/drive the mounting screws. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I know that if I get a little off with the holes, the hinges might not function well. It's not accessible with a drill of any kind (maybe with a flex- or right-angle-head, but I don't really want to spend $25 extra just for this). I suppose I can just make a centered-as-possible hole with a small nail and hope for the best, but I'm wondering if there are better solutions.

Can hinges supporting a door this small (made of 3/8" ply) perhaps be epoxied in place?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thanks!

Phil

Ditch the hinges and make friction fit inset door. You can add a goofy shop made handle, path of least resistance. When it comes to shop improvements
    Aj

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Ditch the hinges and make friction fit inset door. You can add a goofy shop made handle, path of least resistance. When it comes to shop improvements
    I agree. You could add a couple of rotating blocks to hold the door in.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Can't you get a stubby manual screw driver into that space? That said, I'd also do the "friction fit" door thing with maybe a couple of flat, thin "turnbuckles" that rotate on a snug screw to insure it doesn't vibrate out. Hinges and the effort behind them is somewhat of a waste on something that's rarely going to be opened at all. And a non-hinged door that's completely removed will make your maintenance access even easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Magnets to hold the door in place. A couple of wood lugs on the bottom to go behind the face frame
    I have a pneumatic pancake drill for these situations when screwing electric boxes to studs in existing plaster walls. I use a 1/4" pneumatic ratchet to drive hex head screws. Finally a 1/4 ratcheting box wrench.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Can't you get a stubby manual screw driver into that space? That said, I'd also do the "friction fit" door thing with maybe a couple of flat, thin "turnbuckles" that rotate on a snug screw to insure it doesn't vibrate out. Hinges and the effort behind them is somewhat of a waste on something that's rarely going to be opened at all. And a non-hinged door that's completely removed will make your maintenance access even easier.
    The problem isn't so much with driving the screw as it is pre-drilling the hole accurately.

The irony of this is that I wanted to practice hinge fitting. I think I'll try that another time and go with magnets.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.

Make the opening 3/4" taller, install your hinges on a 3/4" X 3/4" stick, glue in place.

Blog Entries
    Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but why not remove the hinges from their present location. Insert the door in the opening and mount the hinges on the door face and panel face?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but why not remove the hinges from their present location. Insert the door in the opening and mount the hinges on the door face and panel face?
    That would have worked, but I wanted to practice fitting hinges the "right" (hidden) way. Once I got unstuck from that idea, the simple solution (magnets) became the most attractive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stone View Post
    That would have worked, but I wanted to practice fitting hinges the "right" (hidden) way. Once I got unstuck from that idea, the simple solution (magnets) became the most attractive.
    For a pilot hole you can tap a small gauge nail into the location for the screws and then pull it out with pliers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stone View Post
    The problem isn't so much with driving the screw as it is pre-drilling the hole accurately.

The irony of this is that I wanted to practice hinge fitting. I think I'll try that another time and go with magnets.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.
    Inexpensive and will solve other problems in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-13...CGJ2S0GR33BT0Z

https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-23...XDFFN0P2XTBCN8
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler