Thread: Chuck arbor stuck in the quill

Chuck arbor stuck in the quill

So I bought an old 17" craftsman drill press that I want to dedicate to one task with a custom cutter. To do this I need to remove the chuck as the cutter will have its own arbor. Here is the problem - there is no drawbar and and the quill has no open slot. I am sure it is going to take same force given the age and oxidation, but I don't want to be make the situation worse by wacking away at it with a flathead. Any tips?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The round collar with the hole above the chuck unscrews and pushes the chuck off. If it is like my Walker Turner that will leave you with a male Jacobs #33 taper sticking out of the end of the quill. I'm not sure you will be able to do what you want. Sorry

Blog Entries
    On my Homecraft drill press, I have a pair of really thin wedges that I slip between the chuck and the collar that you tap together and it pops the chuck right off.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Walter called it correctly. Probably a Jacobs 633C.
    The round collar above the chuck works as a screw jack to force the chuck off the tapered nose of the shaft. You should acquire a pin spanner wrench with a pin matching the holes size in the collar (check with a drill bit). To use the spanner, first chuck a 3/8-1/2" bent hex wrench in the chuck to work as your opposing wrench, then apply the spanner to the collar. The collar has conventional right-hand threads. The collar should spin down to make contact with the chuck and force it off. Penetrating oil beforehand will make life easier.

BobV

Blog Entries
    I have an old Craftsman 17" drill press that I still use all the time. Walter and Bob called it. When I assembled mine (back in the '70s), I was instructed to use the chuck key. It hasn't been off for 30 years. Honestly, I don't know why I would remove the chuck unless I got a really nice keyless one or something.

I can't tell what model you have exactly and I'm not near mine. I can tell you that the quill on mine appears to be beefier than yours. Also the bed on mine is built with t-slots like the bed of a milling machine. At the time, Craftsman claimed that I could do milling on my machine. I didn't believe them.

I know its a late response, but wanted to say thanks. Walter and Bob - you were of course absolutely right. Like Walter suggested, I had to change the cutter design to just be chucked. Not originally what I had in mind, but so far its working fine.