Thread: Oldtimer?

Oldtimer?

Instead of resetting the Stanley 45 to plough a few 1/4" x 1/4" grooves....I set up the Olde Plough Plane..
    Olde Plough.jpg
    Got to checking it over....toe has a bunch of letters stamped into it...

CIN. O.

ROSEBOOM

Wondering IF this is the same Roseboom from the 1840s-1850s era....G. F. Roseboom?

have had to rebuild it, at least enough to get it to work...
    IMAG0010.jpgIMAG0009.jpgIMAG0011.jpg
    This is how it arrived, long ago...finally got things rebuilt this past year..
    no point.jpg
    This was one of the screws found in the fence....was causing the fence to split, so it got retired.
    right side.jpgunderside.jpgfence.jpg
    New wedges, new fence, new handle...takes a little getting used to...have to keep an eye on them wedges for the fence...
    So, is this thing an "Old Timer"? Or just fun to have around?

If I'm remembering correctly, pointed screws were invented in 1844, but I have found the old, flat ended screws in houses as late as 1850. The flat ended, not quite as tapered screws hold better, but the pointed ends were faster, and cheaper since you didn't have to gimlet the hole. Pointed screws that I have taken out of interiors in 19th Century houses will be rusty only on the pointy end, since it makes a little space split ahead of it. The part in tight contact with wood didn't rust.

Nice rehab job on the wooden plow Steven C. BTW, I unlimbered my version of your old friend the 45 today, then promptly broke the other spur. I need to order two spurs tomorrow and return the borrowed spur to my 78. I have four long 1/4 x 1/4 grooves to run to seat some panels in.
    David

IF those grooves are WITH the grain,,you really do not need the spurs at all.

The old plough does not have any nickers...never did..
    8 grooves.jpg
    Have to watch grain direction, but it seems to do OK....

With the grain for me, but been running one legged for a year or so now and time to get right. I do like the look of your old timer though, as it looks comfortable to hold and push.
    David

Steven,

It looks like you have a "new" toy. It also looks like it works fairly well.

Nice restoration job, Congrats!

Stew

according to the Pollaks' book, Garrett Roseboom made planes in his own name in Cincinnati from 1842-1861. This might be from the earlier part of that range as it appears he combined skills and initials with others during the 1850's (his son, partners), or maybe he just made some on his own too.

The plough doesn't like to work on boards shorter than it is.....not sure why. It also takes some practice to keep it plumb to the piece.....it likes to lean a bit. Front hand needs to be on top of the plane, fingers go over the side away from me..thumb goes down on my side. About like the grip used on the other old woodies...

Cincinnati is about a 100 miles to the south of here...took a while for the plane to travel up here....

Sometime, I'd like to find a "Match" for this plane....I suppose I could set up the Stanley #45 for that...