I just just completed this hollow form tonight. I was intrigued by some of the suspended hollow forms I have seen and I had a maple burl that was just about right for one. I started turning and originally thought that it would be one piece, but as I started turning the proportions weren’t right. So into the wood pile and grabbed some walnut at first, but it looked too plain. So I grabbed the next piece, it was Paduak. I added the point and turned the final shape.
Next came the stand. My first thought was 3 legs but nothing looked right. So I was sketching ideas and the single spire came to me. I knew it had to be curved and graceful. I like the proportions of the “flame”.
I found a nice piece of crotch flame maple in my wood pile for the base.

The dowels were turned from the burl wood as well.

The shape of the stand is a mimic of the shape of the hollow form.

The finish was the part I struggled with the most. At first it was just tung oil, but it didn’t look right. Then I tried a friction polish, BLO/shellac/alcohol. Close, but I wanted a high gloss. Next decision was lacquer or CA. My finishing cabinet didn’t have any gloss lacquer so CA it was.

It is 13 inches with the stand and the hollow form is 5 inches in diameter.

critiques are welcome.

C882CB72-972D-476F-AAE6-40742437F9E7.jpeg8F089565-9D3B-4D49-A962-774E813CE71E.jpg