Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: more ads than content lately

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

My wife watches cooking and murder shows (probably to figure out how to get rid of me.) She only watches recordings on a DVR and fast forwards through commercials. I suspect some day the cable TV DVR makers will make a deal with the advertisers to disable FF during commercials.

JKJ
    I wouldn't be too concerned until I notice that she's taking notes.. Don't movie discs (DVD/BluRay) already disable fast forwarding through the coming attractions portion at the beginning?

One data point to the contrary: F1 races used to be carried on Velocity Channel (formerly SpeedTV) with the usual quantity of ads. This year, they're showing up on ESPN2, with production by some UK outfit...zero ads.

(I still DVR them, since they come on at zero-dark-thirty here, and have been known to FF over safety-car intervals and some of the boring bits between pit stops on tracks that have little overtaking.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

How about going to the movies and pay a terrible rate to get in, then a worse terrible cost of popcorn and such, AND THEN you have to sit there and watch ads!!

I've complained numerous times but I guess the only way to effectively protest is with the wallet...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Sorry to inform you Lee, but Velocity channel (nee Speed TV) became Motor Trend TV a couple days ago.

Add me to the ones who don't watch anything without it being pre-recorded so I can skip ads.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Sorry to inform you Lee, but Velocity channel (nee Speed TV) became Motor Trend TV a couple days ago.
    Already? I thought that was scheduled for the 28th...then again, I've been FF'ing over the ads.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

My wife watches cooking and murder shows (probably to figure out how to get rid of me.) She only watches recordings on a DVR and fast forwards through commercials. I suspect some day the cable TV DVR makers will make a deal with the advertisers to disable FF during commercials.

JKJ
    The movie Fried Green Tomatoes mixes these two elements perfectly
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Blog Entries
    Don't movie discs (DVD/BluRay) already disable fast forwarding through the coming attractions portion at the beginning?
    They try, but there are ways of getting past them. Try the >> or jump scene button.

I suspect some day the cable TV DVR makers will make a deal with the advertisers to disable FF during commercials.
    Or maybe someday advertisers will figure out how to make a commercial memorable even though it is being viewed at fast forward speed.

After seeing this thread my observation is that many programs 'back load' commercials. In other words there are not as many commercials at the beginning of a program but when it gets to the end, there are loads of commercials. In the early days of TV almost every program had a commercial break at the end followed by a minute or less pertaining to the program followed by another commercial break before the start of the next program.

With many "in the moment" program like news and sports, there is often an unbroken segment for the first 15 minutes to half hour. With advertising being 15-20 minutes per hour of programming that means the last half hour of program content is 50% commercials or more.

We pay a lot to get this content into our homes via cable or receiver fees, then we pay again by having to fast forward through the commercials if we remember to record ahead of time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am happy to pay Netflix, Vudu and Amazon Prime to provide programming with no ads. I haven't had cable TV in many years but I did rig up an antenna a while back so I could watch the dozen or so local broadcast stations. I couldn't stand to watch them even for free. I think it is only a question of time until TV networks will all die and I won't be the least unhappy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I am happy to pay Netflix, Vudu and Amazon Prime to provide programming with no ads. I haven't had cable TV in many years but I did rig up an antenna a while back so I could watch the dozen or so local broadcast stations. I couldn't stand to watch them even for free. I think it is only a question of time until TV networks will all die and I won't be the least unhappy about it.
    +1 it's trying enough to sit through the amount of ads necessary to get the morning's local weather forecast

Quote Originally Posted by Kory Cassel View Post
    +1 it's trying enough to sit through the amount of ads necessary to get the morning's local weather forecast
    The weather channel and Accuweather both have web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Well there it is. Gather your torches and pitchforks, DEATH TO THE NETWORKS!

12. Unfortunately if you want to watch something for free, you have to look at the ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Both of those also have ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by emili ladjet View Post
    Unfortunately if you want to watch something for free, you have to look at the ADS
    I pay for cable, and yet there's ads on many of the channels. I'm not watching for free.