Thread: Grizzly G0586 set up.

Grizzly G0586 set up.

Good news I am back int he shop since May. I work outside landscaping etc ... when the weather is nice. Bad news I forgot how to do anything!

Just reviewing the tool set ups and have a problem with the jointer. When I put a level on it across the 8" face width it is not level. It is the same not level on the infeed and outfeed tables. When I square up the fence to the table I flatten one side and then square one edge to this face and I am pretty close to 90 degrees when I measure across the face, but on a 6" wide board there is a little gap on the far side from the 90 in the square I am using to measure.

Is any gap acceptable? Am I thinking there is a problem when there isn't one? I have a set of feeler gauges I bought to use as shims and when I put the thickest feeler gauge under the end of the level it almost levels the table. Do I cut this in half and use half at the bottom and the top of the side that is low on each table?

Welcome your guidance. thanks.

Brian

OK Brian work with me here. So your problem has me dazed ,baffled and confused. Are your infeed and outfeed tables low at the ends with the level running lengthwise ? When you say "across the 8'' face width" are we talking parallel to the cutterhead ? Finally what exactly is the jointer doing to the wood you run through it ? I am thinking that your gib screws may need adjusting . Sounds like the tables are sagging at the ends but I am not entirely sure from your description. Mike.

Blog Entries
    Another bit of clarification… It is not important that the beds be level although I do level my machines. What is important is the relationship between the beds and the fence. Are you using the term level to mean level with gravity or are you referring to flat as in there maybe a dip in the table?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    OK Brian work with me here. So your problem has me dazed ,baffled and confused. Are your infeed and outfeed tables low at the ends with the level running lengthwise ? When you say "across the 8'' face width" are we talking parallel to the cutterhead ? Finally what exactly is the jointer doing to the wood you run through it ? I am thinking that your gib screws may need adjusting . Sounds like the tables are sagging at the ends but I am not entirely sure from your description. Mike.
    They are out of level running parallel to the cutter head. I can flatten one face and it is flat across the face, but it is not 100% 90 degree square to to the jointed face side 34ven though I think my fence is square to the table.

Thanks.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Another bit of clarification… It is not important that the beds be level although I do level my machines. What is important is the relationship between the beds and the fence. Are you using the term level to mean level with gravity or are you referring to flat as in there maybe a dip in the table?
    Thanks. I didn't it matter if they were level, but as long as they are square tot he fence I should be good to go.

Sounds like my fence is not true 90 degrees to the bed.

I will reset and cut again to check my set up.

Thanks.
    Brian

Check your fence for square to the infeed bed with a square,I use an engineer square for this.

I'm still not sure if you mean the tables are not 90 degrees to the fence or if they're not in perfect allignment (front to fence) with the cutter head?
    Not 90 degrees to the fence would be a simple fence adjustment; the cutter head issue I don't know about.