Thread: Old Dog, New Trick

Old Dog, New Trick

No one ever said I was the sharpest chisel on the wall, Here I am 3/4 of a Century old and I'm still getting "damn that's simple, why didn't I think of it" moments. One yesterday from C.S. at the LAP blog was just in time. I have four stretchers that need trimming flush. I have a LV flush cut saw that works but is slow and short and these four stretchers are large. It wouldn't be like trimming a few dowels flush. C.S, to the rescue, he faced a similar problem and solved it by taking a diamond stone to the backside of a Japanese saw, making the impulse hardened saw a flush cut saw. With nothing to lose I did the same to a junk HD pull saw.

benchFlushcutSaw.jpg

Works great, fast and a clean cut. Whatever I have a new tool in my toolbox.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 11-26-2018 at 8:44 AM.

There's a couple of ways to skin that cat, but this is probably the easiest and a great idea. I have one of those hanging and might have to convert it too. Thanks for the tip!
    USMC '97-'01

Tell me you’re not going to run a plane over the end?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    There's a couple of ways to skin that cat, but this is probably the easiest and a great idea. I have one of those hanging and might have to convert it too. Thanks for the tip!
    Adam,

I had planned on using the card/hand saw trick but this worked better.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Tell me you’re not going to run a plane over the end?
    William,

Yeah, I'll still get the pleasure of planing end grain but not as much

ken

Ken you will still have those "Ah ha" moments until the day they plant you. I surely do, and quite regularly too.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Ken you will still have those "Ah ha" moments until the day they plant you. I surely do, and quite regularly too.
    Dave,

I'm afraid you are correct . Sure is nice when they work.

ken