Thread: Aftermarket Splitter for Craftsman TS

Aftermarket Splitter for Craftsman TS

A few months back, I finally gave in and remove the original splitter and blade shield from my Craftsmand contractor table saw. The saw is much more convenient to use in this configuration, but I'm not entirely comfortable without the splitter in place. In an ideal world, the saw would have a riving knife, but we all know that's not the case, so I'm looking for suggestions for an aftermarket splitter that will fit my saw and be more functional than the original. I've done a bit of research and have found that splitters that will fit the Craftsman are few and far between, so I'm hoping that someone out there had a solution for me.

I am planning on either buying or building an overarm blade guard that incorporates dust collection, but I want to find the splitter first, as that may affect the rest of the system.

Thanks,

Mickey

Mickey,
    How about the MicroJig splitter, (link below)? I took off the factory splitter/guard a long time ago also but am getting ready to try this one on my Craftsman.

http://www.woodpeck.com/splitter.html
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Many years ago, I went the simple route. I drilled a 3/32" hole in my phenolic ZC insert, and installed a 3/32" drill bit in-line and behind my blade. The bit has held up well, and I simply pull it out when I need to (dado, etc).

I'm convinced that it has saved me from numerous kick backs. Best tip I ever got from a magazine.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Patoka
    Mickey,
    How about the MicroJig splitter, (link below)? I took off the factory splitter/guard a long time ago also but am getting ready to try this one on my Craftsman.

http://www.woodpeck.com/splitter.html

I use the MicroJig splitters on my Craftsman TS. I have both standard and thin kerf zero clearance inserts and have the appropriate MicroJig installed in each. I'm very pleased with them.

I keep my blade guard on most of the time and remove it only when it gets seriously in the way. When it's off, I'm very careful and most often use the Gggrippers from the same people as the MicroJig splitter.

I have the MicroJig splitter on my Craftsman 22124 - works well with my zero clearance inserts.

However, I may get the Shark Guard - nice setup with a blade guard that has dust collection capability. URL: http://www.leestyron.com/default.php

Have fun, make sawdust and be safe . . . .

Billbo

You do need a splitter

A couple of years ago after a kick-back that sent me to the ER and could have left me blind in one eye I expiremented with several DIY devices. Finally, I bought a commercial splitter/ anti-kick-back pawl device from Woodworker Supply (or one of their competitors). This involves replacing the rear quadrant of the tilting mechanism. Cost about $115. Works like a charm. If interested, contact me and I'll give you the details.
    18th century nut --- Carl