Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iGaging Micro Adjust Wheel Gauge

Just a link to cross-connect this thread to a later one by Tom Bussey on the same subject, to help folks looking for info in the future. LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I see what you are saying Mike and it makes sense. Not to put words in your mouth but it seems the Titemark is still the gold standard but we have another much less expensive but still viable option with certain caveats?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I see what you are saying Mike and it makes sense. Not to put words in your mouth but it seems the Titemark is still the gold standard but we have another much less expensive but still viable option with certain caveats?
    Yeah, in my mind the TiteMark is the best but expensive. The Taylor Tools is a clone of the TiteMark for less money. It has more lash in the threads and the cutting wheel is not as good as the TiteMark but you can put a TiteMark cutting wheel ($10) on the Taylor Tools marking gauge.

So, for now, if someone was looking for a less expensive alternative to the TiteMark, I'd probably recommend the Taylor Tools gauge over the iGaging.

But the iGaging is not bad. The more I used it, the better I liked it. I think I initially wanted the unit to work just like the TiteMark and the iGaging doesn't.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

4. $24.. wow. That's pretty cheap, as others have said. Sure, they make good tools, but this sounds a little crazy. I would have said to try to find someone else who has tried it, because typically, price shockers like this come with some weaknesses or disadvantages. Thanks for providing the update - it does look like the weakness/disadvantage here is apparent, but I'd say it's still great value for money.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    My 2cents:
    i have a TM and a couple different Veritas offerings. I prefer the TM, JMHO.
    One thing not mentioned is the fact that all the wheel type gauges stand to perform better if the wheel is sharpened. Remove the wheel and hone up to 8000 grit. Use finger pressure, a figure 8 pattern, rotating the wheel 180 degrees every few strokes. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Lastly, I am not a fan of knockoffs that heavily “ borrow “ a design and then get it manufactured off shore. I am lucky I can afford tools made in NA. Again, just my opinion.
    Dave B

I just ordered the 34-320 model, and while I was at it I added a 4" double square. I have a 6". Sometimes the 4" is better suited.
    Thanks for the tip Mike.

Ellery Becnel