Thread: Overhang for a work surface

Overhang for a work surface

Hi.

I could use some quick advice. I bought a cast iron sewing machine base to use for a work surface for my new Roccbox pizza oven. The base is 55cm long, 35cm deep. The local home improvement store offers finger jointed wood panels that will be perfect for the top. They come in 120 and 180cm lengths and 40cm and 60cm depths. The current top is 120cm. Can I push it to 180cm without risk of tipping over? It comes in either oak or beech. Which do you prefer for an outdoor work use?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dan Mages; 11-30-2018 at 8:56 AM.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I would wonder if the panels were made for exterior use.

The base is designed to carry a load that is mostly in the center and are you good with rust on your deck?

That will be too much overhang. Think about a scenario such as what would happen if one of your mates drops by to chat and parks his butt against the overhang while you are about to load pizza in or out. This is the real overhang test. However, if you fix it to the floor or add a lot of counterweight down low it can work. Cheers

The friend sitting on the corner is a good test of the overhang maximin.

If by “outdoors” you mean out in the weather , getting rained and snowed on neither wood species is a good choice , and it will must likely delaminates.

If by “outdoors” you mean on a well covered deck under a roof , or in a outdoor kitchen that’s enclosed it might last ten years before the moisture rips it apart.