Thread: The Intelligent Hand

The Intelligent Hand

Hello all,

I recently read through David Savage's book "The Intelligent Hand". Curious if any others have read it and have thoughts.

https://lostartpress.com/products/the-intelligent-hand

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Yes, I bought it and have read it. I think it's one of those books that doesn't fit easily into any single category. I really liked it, but I'll be the first to admit that it's not for everyone. And that's all I have to say about that.

It's an interesting book for me. It doesn't show you how to 'do' anything. It does show how one person's experiences, mindset, and techniques have built to very high-level woodworking design and execution. Since I'm working to up my game as a hobbyist it's quite useful for me.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Thanks and yes, I agree that the book is unusual!

Not quite a design book, not quite a 'how-to' woodworking book, nor full-on biography nor business manual, but a bit of all of them. His style is certainly 'cutting edge' and elements of it I find inspiring and much of it I find to be too much. I deeply appreciate the strive for excellence steeped into all of the work and the culture he nurtures at his shop and with his students.

I quite liked the book and would recommend for anyone interested in design process and/or running a woodworking business as an example of how to both fail and succeed.