Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estate sale pickup - Stanley low-angle block plane

Blog Entries
    Well, look at this:

NEWS! June, 2018 update:
    Dang that is bad news for anyone who may have a bid pending on a second edition copy on ebay.

Good news for those of us who just can't get enough information on old Stanley tools.

Might also be good for those of us who like to make notes in our books. Now we can have a clean copy and an annotated copy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Dang that is bad news for anyone who may have a bid pending on a second edition copy on ebay.
    Phwewe!

Just checked, my bid is toast.

Love it, the person who out bid me is one of those annoying types who raises by the minimum bid until they top the current bid.

Hope the buy it now folks don't bite. Currently there are a few BINs in the $145 - $185 range.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pete,
    You've given me a good sense of the plane and it sounds like you also believe it to be a #15 given that it IS indeed 7" long. The lever cap has a patent date of 1897 on it so I'm doubtful about having been "made exactly in 1894". Maybe you meant 1897. Thoughts on that?
    Pete Taran has given you some good information. The type study in Walter's book is for the 9 1/2 "family," which includes the 9 1/2 plus your #15, the 16, 17, 18, 19 and others. It is long and detailed with changes defined every year or two. One thing about your Type 9 plane (I mispoke in another reply thinking it was a Type 10) is that the lever cap marked with the 1897 patent didn't appear until Type 14, 1901 to 1904. So it looks like your lever cap may be a replacement or there are subtle differences in timing of features between the various members of the family. Regardless of the details, it is a nice plane, especially for $10.