Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Itty Bitty Contest

John I think that's really quite nice, It's just a tad < 0.750", so it should be acceptable.
    Ernie - Ernie - Ernie, there have been more excuses posted on this thread than any place I have ever seen. Come-on, I know its still early, and Carole, with a shot down computer , the one in your lathe didnt shoot craps.
    I'm sure we are going to have a exceptional showing, these little things aren't that hard, just pick up some chips, stick em on the lathe, and spin something out.
    Have fun,
    Bill,>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ps. I'm going to post another one on a new thread, to try and intice others.

Ya know what Bill....You're right....I think I'll stop where I am and make that little vase my official entry. I'll take more pics with the scale and edit my post tomorrow. I was pretty amazed how fast and easy it was by the way. Took less time than a pen.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John, just please, please don't tell me you used "Bertha" or the "Ugly Stick" on it!!! Nice job!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    Ernie - Ernie - Ernie, there have been more excuses posted on this thread than any place I have ever seen.
    Actually Bill I was just trying to be nice and give you a chance to duck out of the contest I will be in.... yea right.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Ok.....This is NOT my entry. It's just the first miniature I've ever done so I wanted to post it. In fact...It's almost too big for the contest. Diameter .747. Sheesh!!!

Anyway...it's my first...It's Mesquite Burl with a BLO friction finish
    I don't believe you, John Hart! And there aren't any flowers that tiny in PA this time of year! Or probably any time of year for that matter! I think that to be sure all of you guys stay on the up-and-up you should all just ship your miniatures to me so I can vouch for the authenticity! Return shipment not guaranteed!

I'm outta this contest before it's even started. LOL Heck I'd have to get my glasses changed to even SEE those things, much less turn one!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    John, just please, please don't tell me you used "Bertha" or the "Ugly Stick" on it!!! Nice job!
    As a matter of fact...I used "Little Bertha". I took the time to make a little miniature hollowing tool and a little skew. Made 'em out of some old Dremel shafts I had laying around, and turned some hickory handles. I had a pretty fun night.

Oh...and Carole...The flowers are Babys Breath from some old dried up flowers that I found in the basement. ....So, fire up that Jet!
    ~john

See what can happen when you leave Little Bertha and Ugly Stick alone in the dark, in a pile of chips, they must be fond of each other by now.
    Now look, you have "little" tools running all over the place.
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 12-01-2005 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    As a matter of fact...I used "Little Bertha". I took the time to make a little miniature hollowing tool and a little skew. Made 'em out of some old Dremel shafts I had laying around, and turned some hickory handles. I had a pretty fun night.

Oh...and Carole...The flowers are Babys Breath from some old dried up flowers that I found in the basement. ....So, fire up that Jet!
    You are unbelievable! I am green with envy. Is it signed? I want to buy it (complete with flowers!) so I can say a year from now, "I own a John Hart" Can you post some pics of the tiny hollowing tools? What speed did you turn it at?

Carole slugs back to her boring data recovery work. I used to love computers 25 years ago...now I hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    See what can happen when you leave Little Bertha and Ugly Stick alone in the dark, in a pile of chips, they must be fond of each other by now.
    Now look, you have "little" tools running all over the place.
    Gosh darn it! I have some big tools lying around and I can never find the little ones! Any suggestions Bill? LOL
    My brain hurts!

Gerri's Grandmother, who was originally from Ireland, would often sit and tell Gerri and I stories of when she was a young child, living in Ireland. She often noted, "It was very hard indeed to find those little folks. Quite the lady in her day.
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm in. Been lookin for an excuse to do more micro turnings.
    I love doing things like this. Great idea John...

This isn't my entry, but I did this one a little over a year ago. It's sitting on a dime.

All I can say is I sure am glad I ordered a "mini lathe", but John forgot to tell me to order "mini tools"

Now I don't have any way to make those oversized dimes

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Harris
    I'm in. Been lookin for an excuse to do more micro turnings....
    That's great Shane...Can't wait to see more!!!
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    .....John forgot to tell me to order "mini tools"
    That was intentional Bob.....There's just some things ya gotta make yerself. Hey...This is a good time-killer while you wait for the "big" box!
    ~john

My Entry

I'm calling this a champaign flute because it is tall. I think the wood is Canarywood and it is finished with the Beal buffing system. The top is 5/16" in diameter and the opening is 1/4" which leaves the walls 1/32" thick. It is hollowed out to a depth of 1/2". It is 15/16" high and the stem is 1/16".

Never did one of these before and found it to be a lot of fun. And it wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. I think the secret is good, hard, straight grained wood.

Hey John, if I get ambitious, can I submit more than one?

Harry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harry Pye; 12-02-2005 at 10:02 PM.