Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: What are your UNIQUE TO YOU safety rules in the shop?

My uncle, a carpenter, taught me to "never put my hand, fingers, or any part of my body within 6" of a spinning sharp blade. If it will come closer than that, Stop and find another way." I was about 12 at the time and I was helping him rebuild a porch on his house when he began teaching me about power tools. During that project, and several others that followed, he taught me a lot about shop and tool safety, carpentry, and cabinet making. I also had several years of shop classes in high school. His 6" rule has kept me safe in my shop ever since then and I'm 76 now. He also taught me that the work always needed to be held down as well as pushed forward, and how unsafe regular "push sticks" are. A properly designed stock pusher holds the work as well as the off cut down as well as feeds it forward. If it isn't held down the tool can, and will, throw it at you.

His 6" safety rule had been so ingrained in my head that I had a lot of trouble convincing myself that a Grripper was safe to use. It took me over 6 months to really begin using my new Grrippers after I bought them, because my hand was coming closer to the blade than 6" while pushing the Grripper over the top of the blade. I have now mentally modified my uncle's rule to add "unless your hand is securely holding a pushing/hold down device with a built-in guard between your hand and the blade". I now own 3 Grippers, two for the table saw and one with the thin side removed for use on my router table. I never reach over the spinning blade, nor do I ever use a blade guard. Grrippers and the hold down pushers that I made before getting the Grrippers never allowed a blade guard to be used with them. I do use a pop-up splitter when ripping stock though, and a ceiling mounted Brett Guard over the table saw for use when the situation allows for it. I also have a laser line generator on the ceiling above my table saw that projects the cut line all the way across the top of the saw, the work, and even my fingers if they are ever in the cut line, prompting me go get them away. This is a great reminder of the blade cutting line when doing blind non-thru cuts, but also a great reminder of the blade position whenever I'm using the saw. The one button on/off remote for it is attached to the top of the table saw fence, so it's easy to turn on and off. Power for it comes from a ceiling outlet.

Every power tool gets unplugged whenever I'm changing blades, bits,sandpaper, etc. but I do leave the stationary tools plugged in when I'm not in the shop, because I turn off all of the breakers except the ones for the lights and fridge when I leave. The fridge stays on but the lights get turned off at the door.

I always have a radio on while I'm in the shop, but at a low volume. Like others, it is one of the first things turned on when I enter the shop.

When running power tools I have the noise canceling headphones with the radio built-in that I wear, and the same radio station is on in them too, again at a low volume so I can hear when the tool is running or not.

I have both tinted and clear safety glasses, and a face shield that I use whenever doing any king of work in the shop. The tinted safety glasses are also my daily Sun glasses. I also have a shade 4 pair that I use whenever grinding or doing any torch work, and an electronic welding helmet that I use when welding or grinding metal, which is never done inside my wood shop. Always out side or in my son's welding shop across town.

I always leave the shop door unlocked, but I have trained my family not to enter if I'm using a power tool, and to only knock when I'm not using a tool and then enter only after I wave them in.

I carry a cell phone in a case on my belt that I answer at my convenience. If my wife calls and I don't answer immediately, she will come out to the shop if I don't call her back in a couple of minutes. My shop is in a separate building about 100' from my house.

I've had 6 heart surgeries, 2 knee replacements, and survived cancer twice in the past 18 years, so my wife checks on me frequently.
    Yes, I have cold soft drinks and water in my shop, but I only use them when taking a break from work or doing paper work. I don't eat or drink anything unless I'm on a break. Break time snacks (vending machine style packaged crackers) are also in the fridge. I'm diabetic, so I have to eat small amounts frequently. My first aid bag contains diabetes and heart testers, medicines, and supplies and this bag has been with or near me wherever I am for the past 15 years. It's just a small 6 pack sized fabric cooler, so it's easy to carry around. The shop has a first aid kit for splinters and minor wounds, but I usually quit for the day and go to the house to treat my smaller injuries. There is a manned fire station 2 miles from my shop, so any 911 call will have fire, police, and paramedics here within minutes, and the hospital is only 5 miles away.

Charley

Safety is safety. Whether it is using a face mask, hard helmet, ventilation gear, A seatbelt or a parachute or even a condom. Safety is safety. Those who want to risk and are at risk, safety measures are also available.

You can only tell somebody smoking will kill you, so many times... till they’re dead.
    You can only tell somebody to wear safety glasses (to protect their eyes) so many times till they can’t see.
    You can only tell somebody to wear a safety helmet, so many times… Till something hits their head.

You can teach good work practises till you’re blue in the face. Figure out how to teach or remove the unteachable from the situations....

Everybody can be taught something, but not always to the same level.

Remember, somebody is always responsible!
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 12-21-2018 at 1:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I have the three strikes and I'm out rule. Three mistakes and I'm done for day. Doesn't matter how small. If I'm making simple mistakes, I'm getting ready to make an even bigger one.
    I have found the cure to keep the mistake fairy at bay. This works especially well on Mondays and it's best practice to remember to do this after your first or 2nd mistake. If you don't, the 3rd and more will definitely happen...

STOP. Put down your tools. Put your hands and arms straight up over your head. Turn in 3 circles (direction of your choice). Allow vertigo to pass. Commence working.

This started out as a way to end a streak of bad hands while playing a Hollywood of Gin Rummy. One day, I was talking with my Dad about a series of mistakes I made and he asked me, "Well, did you reset?"

So my two unique shop rules:

1) Cabinetry requires soft hands (don't force anything)
    2) Spin to reset if you make a mistake.
    -Lud

Just curious, like many other hobby woodworkers, there are some days I know my brain isn't in gear and either before or after making a stupid mistake, I make the decision not to do any more work in the shop. Pros who have a schedule to meet and have bills to pay don't have that option, or do they? What do the pros do when they realize they're not on their game today?

Consider using document like the one below to access risks particularly in relation to lifting

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg143.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Consider using document like the one below to access risks particularly in relation to lifting

and that right there is one of the reasons Britain went from more or less controlling the whole planet to living on an island the size of michigan in the space of about 150 years.....

I don’t care for any noise in the shop radio, tv etc. I like to be able to hear, feel and see what the tool I’m using is doing be it hand or power. Saved myself a lot of grief that way. I always have three handkerchiefs in my pockets, quick pressure bandage if need should occur. Cell phone laying on the end of the bench where I can reach it from the floor if need arises. Most of the time it’s just me and the dog in the house.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Just curious, like many other hobby woodworkers, there are some days I know my brain isn't in gear and either before or after making a stupid mistake, I make the decision not to do any more work in the shop. Pros who have a schedule to meet and have bills to pay don't have that option, or do they? What do the pros do when they realize they're not on their game today?
    I don't do deadlines, so no real schedules to keep, but I am a pro, so to answer your question, I tell the guys to put the tools up, and we go home. I have no real safety rules, but am still here, after working for 45 years with all sorts of tools, with everything I came with to start with, other than the hair on top of my head.

NO RULES IN MY SHOP!

I make a living by working in the most regulated environment on the planet. Every second of every hour I work, I am being watched and held accountable for by the government, my company, and my passengers. My work is high stress and high stakes.
    On the days I am actually home, I go into the shop, turn on the lights, phase perfect converter, my stereo, open the windows, doors, and start creating. My shop, with it’s mostly German machines is my reward to myself, my sanctuary.

A healthy respect for my health keeps me safe.... and employed. Mandatory FAA physicals every six months... Ah those rules again.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    and that right there is one of the reasons Britain went from more or less controlling the whole planet to living on an island the size of michigan in the space of about 150 years.....
    Bio mechanically speaking, it seemed pretty sound to me.
    Maybe your point is that it's common sense and unnecessary - i.e. the nanny state argument?
    The way you put it gave me a laugh either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post

Maybe I missed it, but I find it curious that the list of the responsibilities for the worker, did not include maintaining a level of fitness suitable for the type of physical work they do. I wonder what percentage of lifting related injuries are the result of the poor condition of the lifter?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Bio mechanically speaking, it seemed pretty sound to me.
    Maybe your point is that it's common sense and unnecessary - i.e. the nanny state argument?
    The way you put it gave me a laugh either way.
    Mostly aimed for a laugh, but the wording of some of it did make me cringe.

13. hide the receipts for toys,,,,,um tools, if your wife is a redhead burn them

14. sorry to clarify, burn the receipts not the redhead...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    When I was in my prime money making years and had bucket loads of responsibilities there were days I just had to soldier through. Today I'm semi-retired, have no real schedule and no longer have employees or subs to account for. When I'm having one of those days now I simply shut everything down and turn out the lights. Maybe go take a walk with the LOML or the kids (four-legged), or open the computer and read about someone else's bad day on Sawmill Creek.