Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new workbench

My new workbench

Well....my standard in taking photo's has presented it's self again.....and that is poor quailty. I don't like tooting my own horn...but this thing came together just as I had hope it would. The bench is not very big....about 6 foot long by 23 inchs deep. It stands about belly button high. I used cherry and quilted mapke for the top and hard maple and quilted maple for the carcass and dawer fronts. The drawer sides are built of qtr sawn curly sassfrass. I have not organized the drawers at this point...but I will.

The frame is full mortise and tenon with pocket holes(hand cut...) for some points of the drawer runners. I have only applied one coat of danish oil and I will apply another two or three. At the left side I installed a "holder" for hand tool work.....smoothing and things of that nature. I have never really needed a big vise so I used this little Groz that I have had laying around. Thanks for looking.

Oh...as for the date in the pix....I could never get that to change(cheap camera).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donnie Raines; 12-02-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Donnie,

Glanced at the title and first picture. Thought there was a mistake - that's a nice dresser! Very nice!! Nice choice of wood. The matching vise jaws are really sweet. Use it and enjoy it!

Dave Fried

Donnie, that is a great looking bench! Plenty of storage space, which is always a big plus! Just curious, how high is the benchtop?
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Wow!

I agree. That is a very nice "dresser". That would look too nice to go into my shop that is for sure.

Are you planning a designer only shop or something.

Again, just, WOW>
    Matthew Poeller

Donnie,

I saw the first picture and thought the same as David. If you ever get out of woodworking you can move it into your bedroom. Nice job. I need to build one for myself but keep putting it off. Enjoy it and get it dirty!!

Rick

Quilted maple drawer fronts, 'eh? Now that's what I call conspicuous consumption. Ya did good, boy.

Donnie that is not a bench that could go in my bedroom as a dresser. My lovely wife probably wouldn't let me use that for a bench. That is one mighty fine looking bench.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Donnie,

I've seen worse looking formal dining tables. Nice job!!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Donnie, if that's a workbench, I can only imagine what the cabinets in your house must look like. Real nice work. I envy you guys who have nice hardwoods like that available at a price where they can be used for shop projects.

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 12-02-2005 at 5:25 AM.

Very nice, Donnie. Does the job and looks really great, too! Nice combination.

Now Donnie...That is EXACTLY what I envision for Benches in my shop!....someday....maybe

Nice work!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Wow! Now that is a sweet bench Donnie! If I built something like that for the shop, LOML would kill me....

Maybe someday when I get caught up on the "List"
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Thanks for the comments guys.

I was a little gun shy at first on useing the quilted...granted I have lots more...but I wanted something with nice figure to look at when I was in the shop. The color diffrence you see in the pix is not as evident when you view in person.....again that my cheap camera talking.

I don't recall the exact height if the bench....but I am 6 foot tall and it comes to my belly button....

Donnie....beautiful bench! I will NOT be showing this to my wife as I can tell you she wouldn't allow me to spend the kind of money that wood would cost in our hardwood deprived area!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

nice bench donnie!