Thread: PLaning wenge; a novice neander

PLaning wenge; a novice neander

Hi.. I am trying to flatten a table top out, the top is made of cherry with a wenge perimeter (the perimeter is about 3 inches). Planing the sides of the table are no problem.. the grain of the wenge there runs parallel to the main table (which is a wild grained curly cherry). The problem I am having is tear out at the wenge, I think due to a cross grain condition (its a bread board end, basically).

I began the flattening with a well tuned stanley number 5 with a hock blade, then switched to a corrugated bottom number 4, again, well tuned and with the hock blade. the cherry is looking great.. the parallel wenge is too.. but I can't firgure out the technique in the corners and on the bread board ends... any tips? Do I need a different plane or a scraper?

thanks

2. I would use a scraper as it is already assembled. Normally I would ensure those surfaces were prepped prior to assembly--normally doesn't always happen, or cannot I suppose.

Alternately, and I have done this, find a *good* cabinet shop in your area that has a wide belt sander and have them flatten it.

Take care, Mike

hey mike thanks...
    still learning this...I flattened and practiced on the backside of the top, got it acceptable for unseen but visible areas.. learned how sharp a blade can be and finally got to a point where I was gliding more than pushing across the surface.. it was fun..I am looking forward to tuning all of my planes

I'd like some onfo on scraping methods .. literature maybe..

I am very thankful I found this place, its nice to be in the company of fellow artisans and artisans in training

You might want to try different blade bedding angles. I'm not sure whether wenge would take a higher or lower angle, but scraping some of it may tell you.

Pam

5. Wenge will be a little fuzzy after scraping, but it will remove the tearout without further tearing. A sharp scraper is a must.

If the Wenge was not already assembled to the top, planing it is not too problematic. It does have a tendancy to splinter on edges. Paying attention to grain direction on it is a must.

Unassembled, just a typical bevel down plane with a *sharp* blade works just fine. Higher pitch works well, with the higher you go the more tendency to fuzz. Low angle (w/LA blade bevel) doesn't work too well. Low angle with a higher angle blade works well.

Mike
    who has used a lot of Wenge...and has survived...

I am in a shop that is still getting set up.. (no workbench.. or vises, however, i do have my vices...) and sharpening a scraper is still tough.. but do able. A friend suggested I sand the top, but I noticed something..the cherry just POPS! with a plane and scraper.. it muddies out with sanding.. I am willing to work for this..

as for the tear out.. I will have to live with some of it, in two small palces it went a little to deep to plane or scrape out, but I am trying to figure out other options, maybe an inlay.. because in this case i was fortunate enough to have the tearout land in opposits ends centered..

the blade.. a hock carbon steel blade.. dulls quickly with the wenge too, and has to be set to take a super super light cut (like a scraper I suppose) any how.. after this, I will try to figure a different method (i.e. scrape , then assemble, when the grain is perpendicular)

how about a scraper plane.. any easier? safer?

7. Hi Jeff,

Yep, a scraper plane is a great way to go as you can control the cut much better. I have the LN larger one and it is a top performer. Having used a LV lately, I find that there is a place for it in my shop as well. Being able to bow the blade is a great feature to a scraper plane. So though I have sold off nearly all my extra and unused planes, I will pick up the LV scraper plane.

If I could only have one or the other (LN/LV) it would be the LV. Having both will, though, be nice.

The scraper planes are sharpened just like a plane blade and you can choose to not put a hook on the blade, which is where many people fail. That said, the LV scraper plane ships with a thin blade. It needs a hook. The optional thick blade (I recommend it too) does not have to have a hook.

Here are a few links to hand scraper sharpening articles:

http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/scraping/scraper.htm
    http://www.charlottewoodworkers.org/.../scrapers.html
    http://www.woodzone.com/articles/scrapers/
    http://djmarks.com/stories/djm/Sharp...pers_88355.asp
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00007.asp

Take care, Mike

grins..well, the scraping is working albeit slowly, I think I need to improve apon my burnishing/hook edge making on the scraper...time and practice

thanks for your help

Jeff