Thread: Excalibur Table Saw Fence Problem

Excalibur Table Saw Fence Problem

Hello,

A part has broken on my now 18 year old Canadian made Excalibur table saw fence. The company that made it is long out of business, and the saw is of course not of much use without the fence. I have attached a photo to show what happened.

Although I am certainly no engineer or metal worker, it would seem to me that this is not the best design. There is barely 1/8" of an inch of material on the top and bottom of the metal bracket, so does this mean that it is unlikely that this could be welded successfully?

I have not attempted to disassemble the fence yet, but would also appreciate hearing your thoughts on me having a new bracket fabricated. It is a good saw, and even if such a solution costs some money, at least I would have a usable table saw again.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

"Sawless Joe" Hollis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe

It did last 18 years as is.
    It could be fixed by welding it. Most likely a new end would be welded in and the hole drilled.

I believe that General bought the rights to the Excalibur Fence system from Somerville. They may be a source for parts????
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

That's an easy fix for a trained TIG weldor (welder is the machine, Weldor is the operator). Take it to a local welding service or machine shop. He will likely weld a washer on the end where it is cracked for increased strength. It can be MIG welded, but TIG will be more precise.

Charley

As others have said, an easy fix. If you were closer, I would do it for you for the fun of fixing it.
    Cpeter

If it turns out you can not get it fixed, I have that fence system taking up space in my shop since I replaced it a couple of years ago. Feel free to email me at fdmckinney@gmail.com.
    Frank
    The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Frank,

Thank you for this- I am taking the two halves to a local shop next week, and will contact you if I have no luck getting it welded back together.

Joe H.

What does the other end look like? is it just as flimsy? I would get two pieces of strap the same size but a little thicker. I would drill a hole in a block of iron and sandwich it between the two straps. then weld it all together

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What does the other end look like? is it just as flimsy? I would get two pieces of strap the same size but a little thicker. I would drill a hole in a block of iron and sandwich it between the two straps. then weld it all together
    The whole thing is just a U-shaped piece of metal, with the bottom of the U having a hole drilled in it to slide over the threaded rod, and each slightly tapered leg having holes drilled in them to be secured to the locking handle assembly.

I am taking it to a small local shop next week to see if they can/will weld it for me. I doubt many shops want to bother with a tiny job like this - not the ones anywhere near me anyway. A block of steel with legs on each side of it, or legs secured by threaded fasteners would be better than the current arrangement I would think.