Thread: touch up spary gun and WB finishes?

touch up spary gun and WB finishes?

Hi all, I am looking at getting into spray finishing. I will be finishing mostly smaller wood working projects and maybe a bookcase or two.

I am thinking about going with WB finishes as I hear they are quite good now and don't have to deal with all the issues of spraying oil based. (I am asuming I may need explosion proof fans and lights with oil based?)

I have seen mention of tough up spray guns, I am thinking this may work well for me. I have a large air compressor already and am wondering if there is a HVLP conversion touch up spary gun and if so any brand recomendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice? Lynn

You might consider a small, "touch up" gravity feed HVLP conversion gun for this kind of work. They are simple devices, easy to clean and "should" give better results than many of the inexpensive "touch up" guns you see on too many store shelves. I can't help on a specific brand from experience, but I've seen the "Astro" brand bantered about from time to time. They are a knock off of more expensive gear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

for a one quart i recomend the binks m1g, unless you`re rich then step up to a sata, for touch up i use a sharpe #7040, once again sata makes a very nice touch up gun too.....02 tod

Hi Lynn,

Tod is right the Sata is a very nice gun. I am not familiar with the Binks. Although I did use their siphon line of guns years ago and they always had a good reputation. When gravity feed guns came onto the scene I switched over, and I thought they were a huge improvement over the siphon. I know there are adamant siphon users, but I find the gravity guns easier to use. I can be more objective if you would like. So anyway I bought two of the DeVilbis gravity feed guns. (not sure of the model numbers right at this second). Then I upgraded to the Gravity HVLP when those came out a year or two later. For woodworking I am using a DeVilbis "Finish Line" Gravity feed HVLP. I bought this gun about 7 or 8 years ago, and it has served me well. At the time I purchased, it was ~$150. This is a great gun that you can get into relatively cheap. Again, if you are interested I can be more objective as to why I think it is a great gun. The Sata, I am guessing, since I have been out of the market for a while, is in the $500 neighborhood. For the tight spaces that are hard to get into I have a cheap touch-up/detail HVLP gun; about $30 from the local Menards store, and it does the job well. Hope this helps, Bill

There are some knock off gravity guns that are in the $40.00 range. I bought one fromhttp://www.finishsystems.com/economyhvlpsprayguns.html
    I've been spraying my kicthen cabinets with Target coatings USL. And getting excellent results. I to wanted to get into using water based products. Just didn't put out alot of money to find out they weren't for me. I'll never go back to oil based poly again!

Thanks for the quick response and info. Just doing a quick search I found this
    http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=431

Does the gravity feed cup need to be kept pretty much upright all the time or isn't it a big deal? I will be doing mostly small chests 1x2 feet but may need to do the inside and tip the gun?

Are there some quick advantages/disadvantages to gravity vs siphon?

thanks again for the info guys. Lynn

lynn, if tipping the gun is going to be a regular occurance check into a preasure pot. both the siphon and gravity guns can be tipped but only to an extent. if you`re working on small objects they can be placed so you won`t need to tip the gun so far. personally i have never used the lesser priced guns try this site; http://www.spraygundepot.com/scripts...sdepotgate.bbx good luck, tod

touch up spray gun and WB finishes?

If you can find a gravity touch up gun like this one they seem to hold more paint longer when tipped than the siphon feeds so you don't have to tip it back up as often. They cost about double though, and with siphon the length of the can is just a little more than the gun, with this you'll have a harder time getting it into the inside of your box.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Kull

Does the gravity feed cup need to be kept pretty much upright all the time or isn't it a big deal? I will be doing mostly small chests 1x2 feet but may need to do the inside and tip the gun?

Are there some quick advantages/disadvantages to gravity vs siphon?

thanks again for the info guys. Lynn
    It sounds like not with this: http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
    I don't have it yet but it certainly looks interesting. It's not inexpensive, but it's cheaper than a pressure pot for low use hobbyists, and it appears that partially used cups can be stored easily. It appears to me that the bag collapses as the material is used so perhaps oxidation of finish wouldn't be a problem. Keep one container with solvent/cleaner in it for easy clean-up. Somebody needs to try it and post a review

Curt

Curt

I was at Harbor Freight yesterday and they have there small one ($44.99) on sale for $19.99.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good