Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use Spring Clamps?

I use spring clamps mostly with this product : http://www.jevonstoolco.com/

Or, with F-clamps for glue-ups as spring clamps tend to creep and move the workpieces as glue works like a lubricant. Spring clamps are used where quick maneuver is called for, such as attaching a stop block to the cross-cut sled or saw fence. I have about 40 of them in various sizes lying around in the shop.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-31-2018 at 8:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Do Collins clamps count?
    I havent seen those before, but they look quite handy. I think I'll go buy a set. Thanks!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I havent seen those before, but they look quite handy. I think I'll go buy a set. Thanks!
    They are used a lot in trim work
    20180429_082515.jpg

I have a few of the metal ones and a slew of the cheap plastic ones in various sizes. They're great for small projects.

Recently, I was working on a small project where I had to route rabbets down the underside of a piece so it would be flush with the surrounding surface, and I made the rabbets too deep. I had to glue thin strips into the rabbets to have another go at them and the spring clamps were perfect for that.

Sometimes even the bigger ones are handy for getting a clamp on something quickly just to hold it while I get the better clamps on it.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I have 4 on the lid of the barrel of my dust collector. When I had a 2hp cyclone, did not need clamps, but with the 3hp, need to clamp the lid to the barrel or the lid will float up while the blower is on, and blow chips all over my storage area. Have 8" on the exhaust blowing outside. 6" system.

I have a couple hundred Jorgensen steel spring clamps, 1", 2", 3" and I use them regularly for many tasks not just woodworking. I like them and have figured out how they can be useful to me in my shop. I am likely in the minority when it comes to these clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I have a couple hundred Jorgensen steel spring clamps, 1", 2", 3" and I use them regularly for many tasks not just woodworking. I like them and have figured out how they can be useful to me in my shop. I am likely in the minority when it comes to these clamps.
    Hi Chris. Feel like sharing some ideas for how to use them? Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The Collins Clamps are awesome and I have plenty! Frederick, I use spring clamps in guitar building to glue kerfed and solid linings. Quick glue ups. Holding parts when mocking up projects. Work holding when spray finishing. All sorts of metal fabricating applications. Assembly tasks where three hands are useful etc.

I have and use the Jevons squares, with the spring clamps as pictured. They've been easier to use than the corner clamps I used to use.

Jared and Chris - thanks for the tip on the Collins Clamps. I placed an order for some!
    Fred

The larger spring clamps are excellent for attaching temporary tarps. I am using them to keep my roof decking covered right now until I can get a proper roof on. They were a buck apiece at HD. I will have a pile of them to do something with after the shop build is done but I am glad I have them.
    Regards,

Kris

I have about a dozen of each, metal and plastic. I use them for holding trim on edges while glueing, Just picked up some of those 'Bandy' camps to fit them, but haven't used them yet.

I use them all the time to hold paper or cardboard on tables to mask while spraying. I use them to hold extension cords out of the way occasionally.

I use a small dog collar to hold my Rockler universal small hose going to several sanders. It holds the hose up on a hook so it doesn't drag and get in the way while sanding. Problem was that the hose kept slipping down the loose collar, so I used a clamp on the collar to take out the slack, just the other day.

I use one clamp all the time. It is on the depth stop rod of my drill press. I adjust the stop for depth with the nut that came with the DP, but it has a 6" throw and I have to bring it down a couple turns to get to the actual drilling. A pain, so I use the clamp to hold the DP down, just above the work. Saves a lot of cranking. I know this is hard to follow, but I am not good at pics. Some DP's come with two nuts, one above the stop and one below...mine didn't, and this is quicker to set up anyway.

EDIT: Forgot...my favorite of these clamps is a black plastic 2" Bessey that has an adjustment screw for tension. Since I injured my hand a year ago, it is nice to be able to adjust one for light use. They don't always have to be super strong.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-02-2019 at 3:41 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I used to use them all the time when I was doing suspended ceilings. I had about 20 of them

They are quite simply fantastic! Practice a bit with them on scrap as they can skate if not installed properly and whatever you do don't pinched by one! I hope that you like them as much as Jared and I do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Jared and Chris - thanks for the tip on the Collins Clamps. I placed an order for some!
    Fred