Thread: MDF for bench tops?

MDF for bench tops?

An article in the new Fine Woodworking describes a woodworking bench with an MDF top, and says that holes could be drilled in it for bench dogs.

Will dogs destroy MDF?

How much force do bench dogs place on a bench anyway? The force would be concentrated on the top edge of the dog hole, a small area.

I have thought about embedding T-tracks in a plywood bench top instead of dog holes. Would steel T bolts destroy an aluminum T-track fairly quickly?

The dog holes are just to steady a piece while working, not meant to close a nasty gap during glue up. My bench top is MDF and shows all kind of wear, but nothing (out of the ordinary) around the dog holes. Lars

eric, i think that anything you don`t mind tearing up is a good bench top. my bench gets chiseled, dented, spilled on, scratched, etc. in other words i use my bench as i do all my tools, hard. .02 tod

I have MDF work surfaces in my shop and they have been just fine. I hit them with some BLO every once in awhile to freshen them up and just move on. And...they are cheap to replace if necessary. I agree with Lars on the dog holes. They are not intended to provide significant force, even on a hardwood benchtop. I wouldn't worry about this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Eric,

Approximately five-years ago when I was first building my shop (and tool inventory) I built two large benches with 2.25" thick MDF tops with 8/4 hard maple skirts. I drilled dog holes in each and chamfered the tops of the holes. The dogs did not seem to destroy the holes but I've since replaced both benches with a single bench topped with hard maple (Bally Block 2.25"Thick).

I personally did not like the look, feel and performance of my MDF tops. The bench dogs appeared to have "some give" when using my hand planes and the surface was too soft for my taste. Additionally I just didn't like the look of all that MDF in the shop. On the positive side the MDF tops are inexpensive to build, flat and relatively easy to maintain and/or replace. I coated mine with Polycrylic.

If you do decide to laminate a MDF top make sure when flush trimming the layers you use a disposable flush trimming bit, wear a dust mask, use a router with excellent dust collection and/or have someone hold the shop vac nozzle next to the bit. The amount of dust generated is substantial.

MDF should be fine for bench dogs. It probably would not perform well if you often use holdfasts.

MDF is a great work surface... It is available in 1" thickness...and you can double it...lets see that would be 2" plus or minus
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Eric I used MDF for the first layer of a built up top. Then 2 layers of 3/4" melamine. I'm going to cover the whole thing with masonite so I can replace it if it gets tore up. My bench dog holes are in a piece of maple I've layered in between segments of the melamine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The secret of MDF and dog holes is make sure the holes are correct size. If the dog can rack back and forth in them, they will get eaten up.

If you want a fantastic workbench top. Keep your eye peeled for old bowling alley. The first 15' and the last 10' is tongue and grooved rock hard maple that has been nailed with cut nails each nail goes through 3 boards. I bought a 6 ft hunk chain sawed of the alley for a song and made two fantastic workbenches.
    Ed

I've had my MDF bench in use for about 7 months now and I'm more than pleased with it. The top is a full 3" of MDF and have no problems at all with the round bench dogs that I use. It has been used hard. I chose to incorporate a sheet of hardboard for the top so it can be replaced when it looks bad, but after 7 months it still looks good. Hope this helps. Posted pics of the bench in the hand tool forum a while back. It is a monster and it's hard to beat MDF for weight and cost.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

MDF is a great bench top material. Heavy, flat, and smooth.
    If the wear issue for the bench dog is the ultimate concern. You could always route out and epoxy install 2" square hardwood blocks in the top layer and then drill or mortise out the center of the blocks and the lower layer to conform to your bench dogs.
    Just a thought.