Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC to blade guard....

Smile DC to blade guard

My Oneida has a 13.5" fan. Having 2 gates open (branches reducing down to 5" going to the cabinet and 3" going to the guard) appears to be working fine.

In my experience, even the type of cut will impact dust extraction effectiveness on the TS.

The low tech method I use for DC effectiveness is to wait until the next day to see how much fine dust has settled on the tool surfaces

-Joe

The reason that a slightly larger duct is recommended to the blade guard is to provide more of a venturi effect at the hood. While the hole there is smaller, there is an acceleration effect as you pull air through it into the larger hose. There are some "within reason" aspects of this...I certainly wouldn't put a 6" hose to a 2.5" port, but a 3" or 4" drop to the same situation is quite effective. But Joe's point about "the cut" being involved in the dust collection efficiency is right on. (Welcome to the 'Creek, Joe!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi, Here's a setup I had on my Felder KF7F. I used a 50mm hose to connect to the 50mm port on the blade guard. Then went to 3" pipe then right away to 5". This worked fine. The saw I have now has an 80mm port and I go right to a 4" then 5" pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Acronyms?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B. Cresti
    You can calculate until the cows come home all that matters is when you turn the DC on is.... does it work.
    Paul,
    Truer words were never spoken!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Paul,
    Truer words were never spoken!!

Dale T.
    You got it, Dale. I definetly agree with Paul on that statement. 100%.
    take care,
    John

You guys are the best......great input and photos!!!

Like I said, the 4" flex hose is on it's way....and I'll choke it down at the blade guard....per Oneida's reccomendation (and confidence I might add..)

GO VENTURI EFFECT!!!

I'll show pics and let you know.......

Quote Originally Posted by John Renzetti
    You got it, Dale. I definetly agree with Paul on that statement. 100%.
    take care,
    John
    Wohoo... Well look at that... three of the most stubborn people on this forum acutaly agree on something ! Oh by that way is it my opinion you agree with or my opinion of my opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Larson
    Roy,

I have a Oneida 2HP Commercial, with 5" flex attached to my saw cabinet and 4" flex attached to my blade guard. Suction seems to be powerful enough, and I have no issues with the 4" hose getting in the way. I can post a picture of my set-up sometime this weekend if you'd find it helpful.

Dan
    As promised, a picture of my TS...

WOh by that way is it my opinion you agree with or my opinion of my opinion?
    Com'on...you're making folks think too much on a Saturday morning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Larson
    As promised, a picture of my TS...
    Thanks Dan!!

Nice setup..........to say the least.....

I agree!

Wohoo... Well look at that... three of the most stubborn people on this forum acutaly agree on something ! Oh by that way is it my opinion you agree with or my opinion of my opinion?
    Paul,
    I definately agree with you that those three guys are REALLY stubborn. However, I don't know what sensitive, empathetic guys like you and I can do to change them. I think it's a gene gone wild or something like that.

With regard to your second sentence, I think that the same philosophical question could be asked about Lincoln's Gettysburgh Address. Greatness is greatness. LIVE WITH IT!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

DC connection

Just so you guys don't think I am nuts..... I have some shots of my DC system. I think I have my ductwork laid out decently and there is not much room for improvement. Like I said before, it has not been until now with my MM160 that I have achieved adequate suction at my MM S35. When I had the Woodsucker it also could not keep up with MM FS41 16" j/p. It was towards the end of the line, so I had to move it closer. The only machine that it did handle well, that had two ports, was the my MM T50 shaper. Since the shaper hood and internal hookup was so enclosed I guess there was not much suction loss. At the S35, the 6" line wyes into a 5" section of flex and then reduces into the 4" OH guard tube.. the main 6" line continues under the saw to the cabinet which then reduces to 5" at the saw itself. I still get some stuff on the table as I use it but it is much less now. Edging of course still produces a significant amount of dust but I could come with a special hood for that if I wanted to.

David Less Guest

4" flex

David---That's a sweet looking setup, design it yourself?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Don't push it Paul, I have back to back late night flights and got another one today. I'm grouchy.
    I think I agreed with your opinion and the opinion of the opinion. I actually also really didn't completely disagree with your opinion of the dado cutting procedure but my opinion of your opinion on that opinion was different.
    take care,
    John