Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Veritas Pocket Plane use

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Derek, thank you for your post. I’d like to know a bit more about how you went about adding the shim to the violin plane. It appears you used a thin piece of brass, cut to fit and attached. Could you provide details on the thickness of the shim and what you used to “glue” it in....
    He has mentioned the Violin plane mod before:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....28#post2842028

but described the mod on a LN 103 in more detail:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-a-block-plane

Thank you David.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 02-28-2019 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thank you David.
    You're welcome, but really all I did was a search. Derek did the work and the write up.

You took the time to search for me...that’s why this is such a great community.

Now...back to sharpening....

Derek has been pretty clear with his description of these planes, but I thought it might be worth reiterating some things.

The Veritas Pocket Plane is way different from the V Apron Plane and the LN 102. There’s a significant size difference and for me, they don’t overlap in utility.

The Pocket Plane is tiny, but the squirrel tail makes it easy to hold. Looking at the LN Violin Plane, I wonder If it’s too small for me to use comfortably?

The mouth of the Pocket Plane is very tight. So much so, that I initially wondered if I would end up opening it up. In comparison, the Apron Plane has a fairly open mouth.

Like Derek mentioned, I also went with the SS anniversary version of the PP. While I wasn’t certain how it would fit in, I don’t regret adding it to my toolbox. It’s too early for me to say how much use it will get.