Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goncalo alves snifter....

Goncalo alves snifter....

A friend of mine travels a lot and he finds wood for me on nearly every trip. On a recent adventure he came back with this big block of heavily waxed wood wrapped in plastic that had a piece of tape on it upon which "Goncalo alves" was written. So on that basis I am saying this piece is made from Goncalo alves.

It was very wet upon roughing it out so I dutifully soaked it in alcohol and wrapped it in heavy brown paper. After a month and a half of drying I unwrapped it and to my dismay it was 3/8" out of round. It was oval! I had while roughing the piece decided to duplicate the bowl of a brandy snifter. Fortunately I left the sides round enough to keep that basic shape although it is not as full as I would have liked.

I chucked it up and turned and thankfully I had left the sides thick enough to get it round again. It finished up at about 7" tall and 7" in diameter. The sides finished at a smidgeon over a 1/4" with the bottom a little thicker. If you look carefully you can see some dark smudges where the piece was evidently about to go into full fledged spalting. An interesting wood to work.

Thanks for looking. The view from the top makes the wood appear lighter than it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Very nice brandy sniffer Micheal. Just wondering if you used a food safe finish on it, to snife some nice brandy lol.

I have seen some blanks for sale on ebay everynow and then. Might have to get a few and turn em.

Jeremiah.
    My brain hurts!

Very nice form, Mike! I like it a lot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Mike..! That wood is really pretty, you need to make a box out of some...
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

As usual Big Mike you have a talent for getting the most out of a piece of wood. Had no idea from the photo that it was that big. Great form and finish. The grain fits the piece perfectly.

It looks great Mike! I believe I have seen some of the Rockler's carrying that wood in their more recent turning stock. I love the color.

You certainly got the form down. Beautiful finish and wood.

Ernie

Really super, Mike. That grain is scrumpdillyicious.
    Only the Blue Roads

Nice one Mike!
    The finish and the color of the wood makes me want to pick it up and hold it!
    Wish I had a friend like that!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Thumbs up

Everything that's already been said! The color/grain/finish looks like it could just melt into your hand..............Wonderful!

I'm with Travis...What everyone else said.
    Very cool Mike....Touchable.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I like it -- nice form and color-- good grain pattern also.
    Jerry

Hi Mike,
    Just catching up. Everyone else has said it all, so I'll just double it.
    Very, very nice,
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very, very nice Big Mike....I love the color, form and figure in that wood. Simply beautiful. I hope to post some pics of a bowl I just finished. Maybe tomorrow night I'll get them posted.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

DITTO>>>>>>>>>>>>DITTO< ETC.

Nepoleon Please!

Bruce