Thread: Ideas for tabletop tv/phone junk organization?

Ideas for tabletop tv/phone junk organization?

I'd like to build a small table to sit between the two chairs where my love and I sit most evenings-- she watches TV and I read for the most part. I'd like the table or a box that sits on the table to accommodate (and organize, hiding the wires) the following items:

Sennheiser cordless headset base station/charger (needs both power and wired audio connection to TV)
    cordless phone charger (needs power)
    two cell phone/ipad chargers (preferably built in with retractable cords, lightning connector for now, who knows in a year)
    TV remote
    two beverages

The overall piece will end up in a Craftsman/A&C style. There is a floor electric outlet and audio jack for the TV underneath where the table will sit. We currently have a floor lamp with articulated heads to provide reading light. Books and magazines already have multiple nearby storage spots.

I'd like to hide the wires as much as possible. It shouldn't look out of place in a room full of antique clocks and music machines.

Anyone seen a well-designed version of such a beast? I've found hideous plastic ones that do some, but not all, of the things I want.

I've looked some and haven't found a retractable charger cord meant to be built into a piece of wood yet, such a thing must exist though. Any pointers?

Do your phones support wireless charging? If so you may be able to install a wireless charger in a recess on the bottom of the table.

I have a nightstand with many of the same kind of gadgets. I drilled a hole in the back and ran a charger with 4 usb ports to handle all the charging cables into the top drawer. Every morning I put my glasses, iPad, headphones, book, etc back in the drawer and charge the the electronics. During the day nothing is on the nightstand except a lamp and clock. If it is a table with four open legs you could attach the cord to the back of a leg or even run the power cord through a hollow leg to near the bottom.

Only one phone does wireless at this point, I expect that the next one will support it. Not sure about the ipad. I'll look into how far away it needs to be-- if it works through 1/4" plywood that would open some interesting possibilities. I'm thinking I'l put drawers in the bottom of the table, so hiding the wires leading up to the top should be pretty easy. I wish I could tell you that either of us had the discipline to put these items back in a drawer after each use, but I'm afraid that won't work for us, much as I see the appeal. An organizer readily accessible from the top is probably our best hope.

A custom rack to take the phones and remote, hanging from the rear of the table?

Swing out cup holders, or bread board pull out?

For a while now, I have threatened to get some nice stainless steel boat cup holders and just inset them in my chairside table top.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-24-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

If you do run power 'through a leg' or inside any enclosed space, make sure the wire you use is rated for enclosure. Wire insulation can melt in an enclosed space as the space slowly heats from the current draw.

Someone recently told me that people running extension cords through the wall to their wall-mounted TV is a common cause of home fires. I don't know if it is true or not, but it makes sense.
    Mark McFarlane