Thread: Need glue advice

Need glue advice

Still have Christmas presants to get done. I need to glue up boards, but the weather has turned against me. It is about 30 degrees around here. The glue is not holding any more. Any segestions on what glue might work in an unheated shop?

When the weather turns cold like this, I do my gluing in the house instead of my unheated shop. I'll test fit the parts in the detached shop, but the glue up is done in the house.

thanks jon

Due to lots of animals and sloppy me that is out of the question now. Thanks for the help any way.

I'm not sure if the cyano glues have a minimum working temp, but I'd at least check them out. I do the same as Jon - haul everything into the house (usually the laundry room) and do the glue up there.
    Use the fence Luke

Can you put a small heater directly on a bench and rig up a frame to tent it? You could easily get a small area like a benchtop warm enough if you tent it well. You'll probably have to let all the pieces and the glue warm up in the tent before trying this. (or keep them inside the house till glue up time) Plus your hands will like the warmth.

What I have done is take a tarp and drape it over my bench making a tent. Then I've put an electric heater and the work in the tent. Take adequate fire precautions, of course.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Wait

Years ago my shop teacher claimed that wood had to be assimulated to a universal temperature before a glue up. I think a little more preparation in the house will improve results regardless of glue. Harry

Cyanos are way too brittle for general use. Don't use them.

I use a heat blanket with interior glues, and marine epoxy with a hot hardener will cure fine, just slower, in 30-degree weather.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Thanks troops

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will take the electric blanket off my bed and use it in the shop. Just don't tell the wife.