Thread: Options for Powermatic T/S blade dust hood? What about improving DC on my bandsaw?

Options for Powermatic T/S blade dust hood? What about improving DC on my bandsaw?

So, I'm working with an allergist right now because my lungs are funky and I'm fairly certain it's the dust in my shop causing chronic bronchitis. I do have a very nice dust collector from Clearview, but let's face it, sucking air from the cabinet of a table saw is.... well, inefficient at best and nearly pointless at worst. It's time I step up my dust collecting game and I want to start with a hood for my PM2000. What do you recommend?

I've also got a Laguna bandsaw which has only (1) 4" DC port angled off the bottom of the blade and I'm looking for interesting ways to add/increase the dust collection on this machine as well.

Thanks in advance. I've got to get this under control. I can't continue to have these breathing issues, but my shop is my livelihood, so I'm trying to prevent a huge life-problem here. Health & income - I need both.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

There is a nice thread here about improving dust collection at the bandsaw.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....on-for-bandsaw

I have a Laguna 14/12 and it does a fairly good job. I haven't looked to see if I could improve it with the mod in this thread.

My SawStop does a pretty good good of below the table dust collection. I'm trying to do a mod that will allow over the top dust collection using a sled.

If you are not using a sled, there are options like this https://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworki...ust+collection

Another option is the Powermatic 1250 ($700)

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-28-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Look into the Shark Guard. I have one on my PM 66, and love it.

Nelson

I can sympathize. 20+ years ago, I developed Red Cedar Asthma after making a bunch of cedar trim for an addition. It scared the daylights out of me and I got dust collection religion in a hurry. It also was what made me decide to take a desk job rather than try to make a go of woodworking. I sometimes regret that decision, but between that and the arthritis I now have, it was probably the right choice.

I'm also curious what folks use for topside table saw dust collection. I tend to do a lot of narrow ripping, and most overhead dust collection and guards, including my Biesemeyer, get in the way of the push stick.

Under the heading of for what it is worth. I lived my entire career in heavy industry of all kinds. Hearing protection, eye protection and where indicated appropriate dust/contaminant protection. 40 years ago, I was a figure of some fun for my insistence, as the years progressed everyone was properly protected. As a result, I can hear, see and breathe, which many colleagues struggle with. All that said, a dust "mask" plus a ceiling air cleaner have been part of the standard in my shop from the beginning. Plus a few years ago, I got a 3M AirStream. Expensive, but so is medical care. It goes on my head before anything is done with power and stays until all power has been off for an hour. I have good dust collection at the lathe (aimed at sanding and dry wood turning) and at the band saw.

Perhaps that would supplement your other efforts.

First and foremost, the most effective solution is a properly fitting mask. All of your tool modifications will help, but the best and most cost effective solution is a mask. I used to wear one religiously, and now im lazier and lazier. I wear a mask when im running a drum sander, spraying finishes, dumping sawdust, and blowing filters down. For the most part, i dont think im exposed to enough fine dust to really worry about it. I do run a JDS air tech hp with Wynn Merv 15 filters the entire time im woodworking. For you making a career of this, i would be a lot more stringent on exposure to chemicals and dust. Get a good mask, wear it, then start worrying about collection at the source and air cleaners.

I have hoods/guards on both my table saws, and its astonishing how much dust is thrown off the top of the blade when im not using one. This just happened this weekend when i had the shaper fence on my felder, which prevents the overarm saw guard from being over the blade. I only had to make a few cuts, but it really stood out to me how much dust the thing can throw. My PM72 with a sharkguard and 3" port is superb. The felder guard and shark guard are much more effective than my old excalibur guard. Same dust collector, same duct work, just different designs.

Ive seen a few slick designs with ZCI below the blade an table that funnel into a 4" dust port. I imagine this to be as effective as you are going to get on a bandsaw. My 20" laguna only has one 4" port in the bottom corner of the lower wheel. I clamped a second 4" port right under the table, and combined these are really effective. I change bandsaw blades maybe every 3-4 months, and the lower cabinet will have a handful or two of dust in the corners for me to vac out.

Finally, have you looked into a dylos to actually test your shop? What if your house has horrible air quality and your shop is so so?