Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop Disaster

Oy, veh! What a horrible thing to happen. I'm glad you, your family and your dogs are safe, however. Everything else is "a material thing" and can be replaced, relatively speaking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tough, Tough break

I'm adding my "ditto" to the incredible loss you feel right now. I have been extremely careful to "fireproof" my shop, but to have it come from outside is even more devestating. Hope it turns out well in the end - much as I dislike insurance companies. God Speed, and hope you're back spinning soon. - From Eagle, Idaho.

Sorry to hear of your loss Forrest. Happy to hear no one including the dogs were hurt. I think I am going to take a day this week and check in on my insurance to make sure things are up to snuff. Take care.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

So sorry to hear of your loss Forrest, I cant add anymore to what has already been said here so I will just say you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Bob

Update

Well, so far we've found out that none of the tools will be covered since we didn't have a seperate rider for them, and the shop is questionable. The hope for that is that we had a gravel drive put in to it and there was automotive goods in there as well as 4 wheelers. 1 4 wheeler was damaged and is not covered either since it too would have needed a seperate policy. Learning things the hard way here. Kind of an escaped horse/closing barn door type of thing, but I know I'll be well insured after all this is thru, though most likely with a different company.

Will keep you all posted on how the building part turns out. Sure am gonna miss that big powermatic lathe though. hardly even had it broken in.

Thanks again for all the support and kind words. It really does mean alot to us and is helping us get thru all of this garbage.

Forrest

6. Man, that insurance stinks! My company (Farm Bureau) insures my shop up to 10% of my home value. And the same for the contents - up to $2,000 per tool. No extra rider, no extra money on the premium.

What a horrible thing to have happen! I can’t even fathom the pain you must be feeling. Fortunately no lives were lost.
    Hang in there, you’ll get through this.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

forrest, please talk to your lawyer,they are used to dealing with insurance companies. tod

folks, wish I could blame it all on the insurance company, but I teach my kids to take responsibility for their actions, and I've always done the same myself. We take the lumps when we deserve them.
    turns out when we transferred the deed on our property (buying it thru really close friends) we neglected to add our names to the policy. Oversight on all our parts and a very hard lesson learned. Insurance won't cover the tools since they did not belong to our friend. Not about to lie about any of them either. Just not our way. we suck it up and try to move on. It's a good example for our kids to be responsible for what they do, and to make sure they get all the t's crossed and I's dotted when doing anything.

Very sorry to hear about this. It stinks. I hope getting back to normal comes easy.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Forrest, sorry to hear about your shop but was heartened no one got hurt.

Now I'm bummed about your insurance. (My insurance agent is sick of me --I'm constantly calling to make sure I'm covered for various things, mostly car stuff...but you can be sure I'll be calling today about some homeowners/liability stuff.)

Deja moo -- the feeling you've heard this bull before

I got the same response as Mark when I asked about my tools. Everything is covered at replacement value up to the value of our policy. I'd check deeper into your insurance...something doesn't sound right. We have Nationwide Insurance if that helps any.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Fred

Bumped up my insurance coverage

Forrest.....Again...I'm sorry about your loss! I want you to know that I just got off the phone with my insurance agent and bumped up the coverage on my new shop. Though it's not totally finished, I've put more into it than I'd realized and my current coverage wouldn't cover it if it was to go up in flames. My tools would more than be covered by my homeowners insurance.
    Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Forrest, repeating everything everybody says. Real tough break. Just had a meeting with our agent about three weeks ago, didn't even think about the shop since it's in the basement. Gonna revisit that! Let us know if and how we here at the Creek can help.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

Forrest
    Sorry to hear about your disaster. Even though no-one was hurt, it's got to suck knowing you've got to start over shop-wise. Had a bit of a close call myself the weekend before last. I was resawing veneers all morning and went inside for a coffee break and to warm up. An hour later when I went back to the garage I smelled something awful before I even got the door from the house to the garage opened. Found the garage full of smoke and the large pile of sawdust by my new MM16 smoldering. Not sure what sparked it but there was a black spot of sawdust about 12" diam in the center of the pile. Plus the hose from my shop vac was laying right there so about a foot of the hose melted which was what the nastiest part of the smell was from. No actual flames and nothing but the vac hose was damaged. Thank God I didn't wait longer before going back to the shop. The whole experience gave me the willies and I can still smell it. Your loss reminds me of how close I came to being in the same boat.
    Don't know if you've ever sold any of your woodworking projects, but if so don't mention this if/when you try to pursue this further with your insurance company. It could make the difference whether they would consider it as homeowners vs business type possesions.
    Use the fence Luke