Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would this work as tail vise scew? (T8, 4 Start acme thread, 3D Printer Screw)

You’re right it’s closer to 5/16”.
    I sit corrected.

Just my two cents' worth, but most common acme screws (press screws, vice screws, etc) are right hand thread. Used in a wagon vise as depicted upthread, the motion needed to squeeze something between a dog on the vise and one on the table top is backwards. In other words, the "righty tighty, lefty loosey maxim doesn't work. Rotating the screw clockwise LOOSENS the vise, completely different from all other vices I've ever used.

Check out the details on Bench Crafted wagon vises.

Wanting to build a wagon vise myself, but not wanting to deal with I found a 1" LEFT HAND THREAD acme screw from McMaster Carr and a corresponding LH nut. I embedded the nut in a block of wood. Unhappy with how the vise tended to bind, I rebuilt it incorporating a guide shaft and bronze bushings. This is simpler than the system Bench Crafted uses and works perfectly. Also, it cost a fraction of the Bench Crafted model (not counting the 4500 hours of my time figuring it out and making it ). Except for the hardware, it was made of scraps.

I don't have a photo of the vise, but here is an image of the SketchUp model I used to work out the kinks.

WagonViseASSY.jpg

If you are going to put in the effort, do find something with acme threads, not ordinary threads. Don't worry too much about left handed threads, you'll adapt.

I used this one to make a leg vise https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    save up the few extra $$ to get this yost or the one from lee valley over a scaffolding levelling jack you will be happier in the end.

If you want to stay really cheap get the thread rod it will work just fine plus you can all ways make another or upgrade your vise down the road.