Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First lathe

36" is in the range of canes too. It's possible to join the pieces after they've been turned separately. I did it once. I used a piece of all thread on the inside and a copper collar on the outside to reinforce the joint. There are also screw together kits you can buy. I haven't tried those yet.
    A lot depends on the accuracy of the lathe (and the turner) for good results.
    If you're making canes on a regular basis I'd recommend getting a lathe that is at least 36" between centers.
    Some will argue differently but I don't believe any spindle with a joint in it will be as strong as a solid one-piece spindle.
    Rodney

I just don't get those short bed lathes. The tailstock is almost guaranteed to be in the way. They don't really save much space. I don't want to take the tailstock off and put it back on. I consider that a total waste of time. And of course there is the dreaded poke your elbow with the live center. If I need a two piece spindle I would much rather put it together before turning it.

i think a short bed lathe with an extension costs more than a lathe with a long bed all things being equal. A sliding headstock can make a short bed lathe out of a long bed lathe. And where are you going to put your optional tool tray that usually lives on the lathe bed?

Its probably just me... And a sore elbow.

Clint

I wouldn't want a short bed lathe either. I've never hit my elbow even with the tailstock close, but I want the length. I use a PM3520 with an 18" bed extension. Still, it was barely long enough to make a new handle for my favorite shuffle hoe:

handle_shuffle_hoe_comp.jpg

Even with short work the extra length is so helpful. I use several trays that slide on the lathe bed - I make them for each lathe. I can slide the tailstock down giving me room to put the trays nearer. Here's the first one I made years ago, for a Jet 1642. A little indoor/outdoor carpet makes a nice surface.

tool_tray.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Bach View Post
    I just don't get those short bed lathes. The tailstock is almost guaranteed to be in the way. They don't really save much space. I don't want to take the tailstock off and put it back on. I consider that a total waste of time. And of course there is the dreaded poke your elbow with the live center. If I need a two piece spindle I would much rather put it together before turning it.

i think a short bed lathe with an extension costs more than a lathe with a long bed all things being equal. A sliding headstock can make a short bed lathe out of a long bed lathe. And where are you going to put your optional tool tray that usually lives on the lathe bed?

Its probably just me... And a sore elbow.

Clint

Blog Entries
    Great idea, JKJ.

I agree with others on the bed. It's so nice to be able to position myself. Just a simple lever to unlock the tailstock or head (G0766).
    Basically it seems to me a bed extension is like paying extra for a luxury you would already have on a full length bed.
    I had a lathe for a short while with a bed extension. Didn't really seem to take up that much less room.

It's too bad the tariffs hit woodworkers. I bought my G0766 prior to the tariffs and paid under $1700.
    Not trying to sway you that way, just can't help but feel bad for those buying a Chinese built lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post

I would also looked used. Many good makes out there.
    Where do I go to find used. I am also thinking about a lathe and would buy a good used one. I scrub craigs list often and find junk most of the time.

expand your search range on CL. You may have to drive a few extra miles. Also, try facebook market place. Most forums have a classifieds section. Look there and post a WTB on each for a lathe. If you aren't in a populous area, it may be slim pickens. Ask at your local clubs too and not just turning clubs. Also inquire at WW clubs.

expand your search range on CL. You may have to drive a few extra miles. Also, try facebook market place. Most forums have a classifieds section. Look there and post a WTB on each for a lathe. If you aren't in a populous area, it may be slim pickens. Ask at your local clubs too and not just turning clubs. Also inquire at WW clubs.
    I am in New Jersey, 1/2 way between Philly and New York and search CL with a decent radius. What I find with CL and FB Marketplace is either the owner wants pretty much what it cost for a new one or it's a rust bucket. Not sure about others, but I tend to sell off an old tool for a good value to the new owner as it's is 'used' even if it's like new with some sawdust on it. I will keep looking.

The WW clubs is a great idea - I am about to join a local one if I can open my schedule for the meetings....

Don't be afraid to make an offer that you think is fair, even if it is significantly less than what they are asking. A lot of people do try to get too much for their used machine. Often because they overpaid to start with. My rule of thumb is 50% of new cost unless it's a cherry that is practically new with low usage. In that case, no more than 70% of new. Even at that, I won't drive far to save only 30% when I can get new delivered to my door with warranty. I also try to provide the seller with a link to the new cost and explain why my offer is what it is. Some are reasonable. Others get mad. But who cares, it's a business transaction.

I see all kinds of good buys in your general area (100 mile circle). I would expect you could find something that fits your needs.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 03-05-2019 at 9:41 PM.

haha ya - great deal for a monster lathe. I am going for mini or midi size so my 12 and 14 year olds to make some bowls and such.

If I had seen this 3 weeks ago it would be in my shop already. It's way under priced. I must've missed the part where you said you only wanted a mini/midi. Big lathes turn small things just as well. You want a good lathe, this is it at a great price. And you'll never need another. Otherwise, plenty of small lathes new from $300 to $600 of many brands. Those type used for cheap are more rare.... an occasional HF or a Penn State pen lathe. Perhaps you are best to buy a small new one. There is nothing wrong with them. They work for small projects.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 03-05-2019 at 10:33 PM.

If I had seen this 3 weeks ago it would be in my shop already. It's way under priced. I must've missed the part where you said you only wanted a mini/midi. Big lathes turn small things just as well. You want a good lathe, this is it at a great price. And you'll never need another. Otherwise, plenty of small lathes new from $300 to $600 of many brands. Those type used for cheap are more rare.... an occasional HF or a Penn State pen lathe. Perhaps you are best to buy a small new one. There is nothing wrong with them. They work for small projects.
    I saw a Rikon 70-100 at a woodworking show this past weekend but price was a few bucks short of the online price and wanted more time to research so I didn't pull the trigger on it. Plus I am not a fan of Rikon. For the money, a few hundred more and I have a JET 1221VS or Laguna Revo 12|16 However, grabbing one used for 400-500 instead of 800 would be great.