Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

25 Feb 2019

Greetings,
    It's been a hard 2 weeks of oncall mentally and then the world fell apart during the work days. The good thing is we finally hired a new person to give us 4 people on our team instead of the 3 we've had for a long time. I did spend a bit of time in the shop, cleaning, making use of wood pieces, and etc. Now that I'm a "free man" this week, I get to spend more time in the shop that I've been needing to do for a while now. I will sleep well tonight!

Ok, I'm simply stopping here....so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Dennis, glad to hear that you're not so under-staffed at work now.

Diann and I went to the wood show in Toronto, met a friend from Ottawa and one from Ancaster there.

The show was packed which is nice to see.

I bought a sander, which I will pick up next Saturday. For some reason Diann didn't offer to carry it for me.

Sander.jpg

regards, Rod.

'Glad you get some breathing room this week, Dennis!

I'm finally bringing a really interesting and rewarding architectural applique CNC project to a close and will be delivering the parts on Thursday and helping the GC/homeowner with the final installation. This project involved some intense "3D" modeling in Aspire (which I'm a virgin user of for this particular thing) and some very, very long cutting times, but the end result has been outstanding. Financially rewarding, too. I'll be posting a thread with photos once the work is delivered and installed. I have some shop cleaning to do before the next commission which is right now looking like a pure furniture deal for a Twin-XL over Queen bunk bed for the clients shore home. I have some CNC work to do while I'm building that piece for my ETSY store and an upcoming table sales opportunity. Other than that, just mentally preparing for the "next revolution around the sun" which starts next week.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spent a long day in the shop Saturday building the carcases and drawers for the 2nd phase of son's kitchen remodel. Sunday I finished up a couple of details on those and spent some time finishing up the design of a new table saw outfeed stand I would like to make.

Dennis, I'm glad your work load may lighten a bit with the new-hire.

Jim, I can't wait to see the photos of this project.

Finally got my dust collector hooked up with a lot of help from Rod. I also started working on my outfeed assembly table. The best thing though is I gave my notice at my present job and will be starting a new position selling trim and doors as an ex trim and finish carpenter it is sure a lot more exciting than selling cleaning chemicals.

Finished a large timber bed for our master bedroom.

Spent Saturday milling some maple for a new project. It is now clamped to the bench hoping that it will settle in to somewhere flat. I also did the final fitting of the hardware for Tantalus II. Cleaned up and organized some lumber scraps.

Sunday morning I was in the shop doing some maintenance on machines. Cleaned and waxed the beds of the jointer, planer, and band saw. Took out the chips and sawdust from the dust collector. From the time I went out to the shop and the time taking in the bag of chips, the snow drift grew about a foot between the shop and the garage. By the time I came in an hour later, it was two feet higher...
    Then I went into the basement and ran a speaker wire run in the new 'stereo' room. All set for drywall this week.
    And finally Sunday night I went out and took care of the 4' snow drift in front of the garage door. The wind was so bad I was going to put on my motorcycle helmet when I remembered that we had some ski goggles around. Got that done, but left the sidewalk to the front door for today.

Played with 16 different finishing schedules for Sapele. My wife picked one of the more complex ones . Finished milling a sapele table top for our front door entry way. Built my largest most complex jig yet to saw panels vertically on a slider, to create a 10 degree taper on the edge of the table top, it worked very well but requires perfectly flat stock to get a consistent reveal. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the table top to the steel legs my wife had commissioned.

Sorry about the snow and cold that many are experiencing now. We intentionally moved south 40 years ago, after working one winter in downtown Chicago. Rode the train and frequently had to shovel my way out of the parking lot at the train station as they plowed the lot with cars in spaces, creating large berms behind the cars.

It was in the upper 60s and dry here in Houston over the weekend, although wet and colder today. Weird winter.
    Mark McFarlane

I installed a DRO on my J/P. I'm checking it frequently against what verniers show until I fully trust it. So far so good; always within 0.005". That was the fun part. The less fun work has been veneering all the panels for my kitchen cabinet rehab project with shop sawn veneer. Sawing the veneer, drum sanding it flat, grain matching and seaming it into panels, and then gluing it up in the vacuum bag is a pretty boring, repetitive task. I must have been completely brain dead on a couple of panels because I somehow put maple veneer on them instead of ash. I have no clue how the maple even got in the stack of ash.

A friend brought me a couple of interior doors to install new locksets in. The doors are original to the house which was built in the early part of the 19th century. Some kind of pine judging by the smell when I cut into it. No other way to tell under all the layers of paint. They were made with pegged through tenons, one in the upper rail and two in the lock rail and lower rail. You could see shadows of the pegs even under all that paint. I wonder if they even glued door joints back then. Anyway, they were still rock solid. I bored the holes for the lockset, glued in new wood to fill the old latch mortises and then routed new ones to fit the new hardware. Easy job but nice to help keep some of the original features of the old house.

Glad you're getting some shop time Dennis. May it continue.

John

We're having another snow storm today, you're smarter than me Mark, you moved south.

Of course for a Canadian I am in the south

I presume you don't have a shaper? For those sort of bevels I use a saw blade in the shaper and tilt the spindle, I've had a few people come over with their panels to do that.......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    We're having another snow storm today, you're smarter than me Mark, you moved south.

Of course for a Canadian I am in the south

I presume you don't have a shaper? For those sort of bevels I use a saw blade in the shaper and tilt the spindle, I've had a few people come over with their panels to do that.......Rod.
    Rod, I do have a non-tiling 5HP shaper. I did find some shaper tooling that would do what I wanted, at 12 degrees instead of the 9 degrees I ended up using, but the cost was hard to justify for doing a single table top. It took me about 1.5 hours to build an adjustable vertical panel jig for the slider from MDF. I spent longer than that trying to find the right shaper cutter.
    Mark McFarlane