Thread: SCMS dust control

SCMS dust control

I am re-arranging my two-car garage workshop to clear enough space to actually park two cars. This means moving my sliding compound miter saw against a wall. To that end, I'm planning to buy a Bosch GCM12SD Dual Bevel Glide ( https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...cm12sd-33969-p/ ), the only saw I know of that can operate right up against a wall.

The machine has a 1 1/2" dust control port that can hook up to my shop vac, but reviews suggest that it is at best 60% effective. I am thinking of building a 6" deep x 30" wide box behind the saw with something like a 4" register box ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/12-in-x-4-in-to-6-in-Universal-Register-Box-with-Flange-RBF12X4X6/100115885 ) at the bottom connected to my Oneida Mini Gorilla.

Has anyone done something similar? How did it work out?

Any other ideas?

There are about 3 other SCMS’s that go right up against walls. I don’t recall the make and model, but do some searching here and you’ll find them.

I set up a Bosch glide saw for a friend and honestly didn’t like it that much, too much flex in the arm. I much prefer my Delta turret RAS.

I have the Bosch and use an adapter to hook up my Ridgid shop vac to it, most of the time. I would say that 60% collection is a little generous, depending on what you're cutting. Particles from construction grade lumber tends to scatter more than hardwood and quality plywood.

I've not done anything to improve dust collection yet, but at some point I will probably build a workstation with some sort of down-draft lattice under the saw and a shroud across the back and sides to contain most of the spray. You can look up [miter saw dust collection shroud] in your favorite search engine image search and see all kinds of designs.

To Matt Day's comment, as I have said before, if you grab it like a gorilla, yeah, there's some play in the axial mechanism; but if you just grasp the handle firmly, turn it on and "let the tool do the work," it's fine. I get great cuts with the Bosch.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I know what you mean Charles, but I didn’t feel like I was grabbing it like a Gorilla. Maybe my expectations were too high though.

Not even close to being the only saw “that can go up against the wall”.
    Most non sliders go closer and many have FAR better dust collection.
    Several sliders are similar.
    Not very impressed with the 12” and the 10” has big issues.
    The best would depend on your priorities.

I have a Hitachi slider that is closer than most. I mounted a 12 in funnel shaped thing under the saw and connected to a 4" line to my dust collector. I bought a tent like enclosure that always seems to be in the way. I think what I will do is build a box behind the saw with sliding doors that can move sideways when I need to swivel, otherwise most should end up in box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    I am re-arranging my two-car garage workshop to clear enough space to actually park two cars. This means moving my sliding compound miter saw against a wall. To that end, I'm planning to buy a Bosch GCM12SD Dual Bevel Glide ( https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...cm12sd-33969-p/ ), the only saw I know of that can operate right up against a wall.

The machine has a 1 1/2" dust control port that can hook up to my shop vac, but reviews suggest that it is at best 60% effective. I am thinking of building a 6" deep x 30" wide box behind the saw with something like a 4" register box ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/12-in-x-4-in-to-6-in-Universal-Register-Box-with-Flange-RBF12X4X6/100115885 ) at the bottom connected to my Oneida Mini Gorilla.

Has anyone done something similar? How did it work out?

Any other ideas?
    I own one of the 12" Glide Saws and I doubt very much whether a single vacuum cleaner would control the dust, in fact I will say it definitely won't but then the same applies for most of this breed of saw. A vac might get the big bits but even on a Festool it won't get the fine dust no matter what the hood looks like.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I was reading reviews, and appears that Dewalt makes a new model with a larger dust port, forgot the model#, but I searched and found reviews of new models, and appears the Dewalt was similar to the Festool in DC. Just went back and searched, is not the DSW780, as read that saw has a port that fits a 1 1/4" hose. But could not find the new model which has a larger dust port. Maybe someone else is familiar with that new model.
    Last edited by Jim Andrew; 02-28-2019 at 7:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Not even close to being the only saw “that can go up against the wall”.
    Most non sliders go closer and many have FAR better dust collection.
    Several sliders are similar.
    Not very impressed with the 12” and the 10” has big issues.
    The best would depend on your priorities.
    I think the OP is talking about sliding saws against a wall... not non-sliding chop saws... There are a few "sliders" that go against the wall as tight as these glide saws can but not many a f... I think Delta has one

I have the 10", there are certainly no big issues... it's a solid saw that replaced a 12" Rigid slider... I get excellent cut quality and accuracy.

The DC is above average for an SCMS. But always wanting to improve DC, I saw a plan for a home built dust hood somewhere online specific for these saws, but I wasn't impressed, bulky and got in the way. Ultimately I used some blue tape folded over itself to extend the stock rubber dust flap down further and forward on the sides. I also used some tape to create a flap at the back of the blade guard to help direct the dust down, toward the pick-up. I this containing of the dust and slowing down my cuts on this saw improves the dust extraction substantially.

I use a CT26, and if I'm doing lots of work I will also run a simple pickup off my 2HP Oneida cyclone to the area behind the saw. It's not perfect, but it's quite good.

Blog Entries
    The cyclone should be much improved over the festool vac.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I think you get most of the dust collection through the pickup behind the blade and a vacuum does a better job through that small port than a dust collector would. But for the larger area, of course the cyclone pulls more air... With the vac connected and the cyclone working behind you get the best of both worlds...