Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw Bench Give-away - Local to Princeton NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    If I was guessing, I would guess a woman was involved somehow. But burgers can be pretty memorable. I remember a burger shack in Oceanside that had all kinds of exotic meats. Buffalo, ostrich, all kinds of stuff.
    Have you been reading my mail? BTW, that was my second run at it, the first was over the New Year weekend and the cold, rain, and night got to me just outside San Antonio where I shut it down. I always said I could ride through cold, rain, and night, pick any two but not all three.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    Doesn’t that depend on how fast you drive?. It’s only 2368 miles between Tucson and Princeton. So just over 100 mph (ok maybe a little faster to account for fuel and ticket stops )

John
    John,

1500 in 24 hours is about all most folks can reliably plan on. Even then all it takes is a bit of construction, a traffic jam, or whatever to throw a spanner into the works.

ken

Brian, as others also commented, a very generous offer. I remember enjoying the build. Class act, again, sir.

Blog Entries
    Thank you! Much appreciated.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Either that or I was young(er) once myself.

I have done coast to coast a couple of times. If I do it again I think I will be retired, in an RV, with a portable workbench, a cooler, a grill, and a map of every national park between here and there. There will be lots of burgers, on the beach, in the mountains, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Have you been reading my mail?

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Either that or I was young(er) once myself.

I have done coast to coast a couple of times. If I do it again I think I will be retired, in an RV, with a portable workbench, a cooler, a grill, and a map of every national park between here and there. There will be lots of burgers, on the beach, in the mountains, and everywhere in between.
    If you do, don't miss Big Bend and while in Big Bend do the Boquillas river crossing by row boat. A great way to spend an afternoon.

ken

Blog Entries
    I made this bench many years ago.
    https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...5-87-sawbench/
    I also made a small horse the same height out of 1 by 4 that I can use to hold up the end of log pieces.

I use handsaws and circular power saws when using the bench.
    Some of you new woodworkers may not know about using a speed square as a guide when cutting boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    8/4 KD white ash is high grade wood.
    Oh, sorry; it looked like Douglas fir from here.

If you do, don't miss Big Bend and while in Big Bend do the Boquillas river crossing by row boat. A great way to spend an afternoon.

ken
    You've got to have your passport to make the crossing now unlike the old days.

Blog Entries
    Brian,

Perfect outcome.

Sorry for the hijack but I truly did think about the drive, I've done more for less reason.

ken
    Ken,

No worries, if you find yourself in NJ definetly stop by.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Oh, sorry; it looked like Douglas fir from here.
    No worries. Doug fir would work nicely for it if anyone is thinking to build one.

Brian, I used to live just down the road.

Sadly, not anymore, but I didn’t see your post until the bench was already spoken for, so I don’t feel as bad about missing it.

John,

1500 in 24 hours is about all most folks can reliably plan on. Even then all it takes is a bit of construction, a traffic jam, or whatever to throw a spanner into the works.

ken
    I think I need to be better about indicating that I was attempting humor.

Quite unrealistic to think you can average over 100 mph on that long of run. Though I did find out empirically that GM rental cars were speed limited to 112 mph (as a passenger). (but that was only about 100 miles between Rolla, Mo and Springfield when a co-worker I was travelling with had to get home quick for a family emergency) Even 1500 miles in 24 hours means you are averaging 62.5 mph which can be tough to do (peak speeds must be a bit higher to compensate for fuel stops etc). There are not a lot of highways that can handle that high of sustained speed for that long. (you get somewhere FAST that doesn't )

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    I think I need to be better about indicating that I was attempting humor.

Quite unrealistic to think you can average over 100 mph on that long of run. Though I did find out empirically that GM rental cars were speed limited to 112 mph (as a passenger). (but that was only about 100 miles between Rolla, Mo and Springfield when a co-worker I was travelling with had to get home quick for a family emergency) Even 1500 miles in 24 hours means you are averaging 62.5 mph which can be tough to do (peak speeds must be a bit higher to compensate for fuel stops etc). There are not a lot of highways that can handle that high of sustained speed for that long. (you get somewhere FAST that doesn't )

John
    John,

I knew you were having fun as I was. I guess my reply was a little dry.

ken