Thread: Making a lapping plate for water stones?

Question Making a lapping plate for water stones?

I have a cast iron extension wing from my General saw that is sitting in my shop unused due to my sliding table being attached to the saw. Can I make this into a lapping plate? It seems like a good idea to me but maybe I'm not considering something? If it is, how would you go about cutting grooves into it to catch the slurry from lapping stones?

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    If it was me, Neil, I'd simply affix some sandpaper to the flat wing with spray adhesive and then lap my waterstones when they are dry. Just use a shop vac to clean off the grit frequently, and maybe a stiff brush.

If you want to lap a wet waterstone, maybe you've got a large enough diamond stone to do the job? Or use wet-or-dry silicon carbide paper instead of the dry sandpaper. Use a little water to moisten the wet-or-dry and it should stick to the flat surface okay.

Gee...as long as it's flat, it sounds like a wonderful idea to put that wing to use, rather than having it just gather dust and take up valuable space without adding value to your shop. Go for it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Flattening a Waterstone

Without have a waterstone flattening device (whatever that might be), how do you recommend I flatten my one and only 1000/6000 grit water stone.

Dennis
    The truth is always visible but often not seen.
    Measure twice, and cut--WAIT!-- better measure again then cut once, twice or whatever it takes to fit.

Waterrstone Flattening

Without a waterstone flattening devise (what ever that is), how would you flatten my one and only 1000/6000 girt waterstone?
    The truth is always visible but often not seen.
    Measure twice, and cut--WAIT!-- better measure again then cut once, twice or whatever it takes to fit.

Uhmm, Jim, in case you didn't know...........You've got a beaver growing out of your head.

Brent

Brent, I thought Pac-Man was eating his head.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collins
    Without have a waterstone flattening device (whatever that might be), how do you recommend I flatten my one and only 1000/6000 grit water stone.

Dennis
    See Steve's reply above. Use a piece of plate glass with wet/dry sand paper and water. Make pencil lines along the length of the stone and lap until the lines have been removed. I use 180 grit.
    Les

flattening

You can get a flat 9 x 12 granite surface plate grade B from places like enco for about $16. That's what I use with PSA sandpaper.

Rob Cosman's video that cover's sharpening, he uses an additional 1000 grit stone as his flattener. Expensive option.

I have two grade b surface plates and I use Klingspor PSA. I usually flatten my backs on one, and have a larger sheet stuck on the other just by water adhesion from the surface tension. I rub the stones on that one, very often if going through the back flattening, or less often if just tuning an edge.

Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Jim

Saw your post about your trip to Russia (hence the hat). I am looking forward to your "russian dance" video to be on your site!!!

Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

I do it the Rob Cosman way. I have 2 1000 grit stones. I use both of them before flattening and this way they both need to be flattened. As long as I stop when they are flat there is no more wear than using a dedicated flattening station [ naturally you need to stop when it is flat to avoid excess wear using a flattening station as well ] This is actually the cheaper way to go in the long run because I have 2 stones at todays price and I have 2 stones to wear before needing to flatten them, and I flatten both of them in the same amount of time as 1 stone.

I keep the http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...&FamilyID=3677 in the same tub of water as the stones and run the stone over it every 20-30 strokes. Works very nicely and is easy to store with the stones.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

I just got the Norton flattening stone from Joel at Tools for Working Wood. It is $24. I like it alot. It flattens in half the time as sand paper on glass or drywall screens.

Mike

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith
    Uhmm, Jim, in case you didn't know...........You've got a beaver growing out of your head.

Brent
    Beaver? I thought that was a Chia plant!