Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my router bit toast? - It was smoking hot.

You were probably going to slow. On a CNC if the bit is hot you have to increase the speed

Yeah, I agree about maybe moving too slowly. That really is not an aggressive cut for that bit unless the bit has been compromised before and has lost it's edge.
    Richard

Only complaint I have about MLCS is they don't sell any single flute bits, even though I have asked them to. They cut
    much faster ,and by doing so the bit would still be good.

I bought an MLCS bit once.

Not to argue with anyone as I have not bought a new bit in many years, I have used various bits in that 35 bit kit for many years on many small projects (hobby not production) and never had a routing (I have 4 routers) problem, all have cut clean and without burning. Yes it was a two flute bit. And maybe I was just going to slow as I don't like to force cutting actions on any equipment. Anyway, from here on out I will make a small channel first for someplace for wood to go when making full depth and width last pass. I don't want anymore smoking bits or glowing sawdust. Ironically I was making a new router fence with sawdust collection. I have had sawdust collection to all my larger tools for some time but not the router table, so there was no dust collection that particular time to use and draw into the sawdust bin on my large installed collection system. Thanks for all comments. Randy

Almost sounds like you hit some steel...