Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer Opinion: Jet versus Ridgid

Jointer Opinion: Jet versus Ridgid

I know that everyone has their own likes and dislikes; but I'm wondering which jointer would be a better choice. The options are the Jet JJ-6CSX or the Ridgid JP0610. I am familiar with the Ridgid. I've never actually seen the JET. I'm not really talking about cost or value, as they would both be pretty much the same cost in my situation.

Brian,

I have the Jet unit and have been very happy with it. I cannot comment on the Ridgid.

If it were my choice, I'd go with the Jet over the Ridgid for two reasons. First, will you be able to get parts for the Ridgid down the road? What if Home Depot switches vendors again? Second, I would think resale on the Jet would be higher if you decide to upgrade to a larger jointer later.

I have the Jet and my neighbor has a Ridgid. Both are nice out of the box, but I think in the long run the Jet is a better choice. Adjustments are easier and more accurate on the Jet, the Jet's stand is more durable and steady and it seems to run a bit smoother.

All else being equal, Jet.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Ridgid vs. Jet Jointer

Brian

I own the Ridgid and have been very satisfied with it. As far as parts availability, even if HD changes, you'll still have Ridgid to fall back on. They have been helpful when I needed info. As far as the stand I personally think the Ridgid is very good. I did consider the Jet when I made my purchase and felt all around the Ridgid was the best value.

Just a different perspective!

Larry

Jet, proven design for years and HD has a history of changing the Ridgid lines too often for my taste. I will say I have a Ridgid 13" planer and it works great. You might also look for a used Jet cause I see them every so often. Depending on where you are located i think I saw some in classifieds for around $300-350.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Thanks guys,

I actually already have the Ridgid. I got it last summer and have put about 20bf through it. It seems to meet my needs just fine. The reason I was asking is that a local guy offered my a good deal on his JET. He needs to get rid of it soon. He was having a hard time getting offers, so I had thought about buying his JET and then selling my Ridgid for whatever I could get out of it. I have nothing but good things to say about the Ridgid. However, I too often wonder how long it will be before Ridgid changes the design or drops the product all together. That being said, I would probably come out $50 - $75 dollars behind if I made the move to buy his JET and sell my Ridgid. That is, if I could get my Ridgid sold at all. It could very well end up that I would be stuck with two jointers. I've never tried it, but it seems like it might be dang unhandy to try to use two of them at once.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    ***** JET *****.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I agree with Ken. The reason why is simple, I have owned many Ridgid tools in my time and when the switchover went to OTT/TTI, the service went down the tubes fast. Their warranties aren't as good as the paper, they can and will usually find anyway they can not to honor them including telling me the part's lfetime had been exceeded (lifetime warranty equals the time it takes for the part to fail). I have been told that several times on things as simple as bushings on the 'work & haul it' portable TS stand.

I own two Ridgid products these days. One is the quickly deteriorating miter saw stand (it's lasted four years so it's not that bad I guess) and the other two are the flawless-so-far flip top stands for outfeeding....I love those. buying a new Ridgid tool....out of the question. I don't like their quality control or service after the sale and I don't like the parent company's other products and lines. Having owned over 15 of their tools over the last 10 years, I am cured of wanting any of them.

Buy the Jet and enjoy good service on a great product.
    Last edited by Kelly C. Hanna; 12-07-2005 at 10:54 AM.

So Kelly, does that mean you aren't interested in buying my Ridgid jointer.

I guess I have to pass on that one Brian....sorry buddy!

I have the rigid and am happy with it.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Similar designs up top, but the Jet has an enclosed base, and is slightly higher and longer. For nearly no cost to you, I'd be inclined to make the switch.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have the Rigid JPO610 and my infeed table and outfeed table are not in alignment. They were .005 of an inch out across the 6 inches. I worked the infeed table up and down and retightned the set screws and finally got it to within .003 which is still not acceptable. I may try to shim it. Also I do not like the fact that the when you tighten the fence it is hard to keep it at the EXACT angle that you want. I do not know how the Jet is set up. Could have the same problems.

Too bad that I am not the one that knows the guy selling the Jet as I would buy it in a minute and sell the Rigid if the tables are aligned even if it cost me $200.

I say go for it.

I have made arrangements to pick up the JET. I will be getting either tomorrow or Saturday morning. I would have gotten it today, but the weather didn't cooperate. Now I just need to find a buyer for the Ridgid. I will probably have to use ebay to get rid of it, but I sure don't need two of them. Thanks for the opinions guys, it was a lot of help.