Thread: Jointer height

Jointer height

Just got a new benchtop jointer. I'm in the process of building a mobile base for it. What's the best way to determine the proper height so it is comfortable to use?

My 8" jointer has the table at 31-1/4" from the floor. I would start somewhere around there. Yoy could mock something up an then stack plywood under it until you find the right height.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    My 8" jointer has the table at 31-1/4" from the floor. I would start somewhere around there. Yoy could mock something up an then stack plywood under it until you find the right height.
    +1 on doing a mock-up (but don't actually run the jointer on there unless your mock-up is really​ solid). Best height will depend on your height and personal preference. I think most floor-standing jointers have tables that are 31" - 33" above the floor.

Benchtop jointers are typically always not very wide, so you're not going to be leaning over them, like you would a 24" jointer, to flatten a board. Most usage will be edge jointing. As stated, the answer depends on how tall you are. A good, quick way to determine a comfortable height for any bench top is to measure the distance from the floor to your wrist, and subtract 2". A general starting point that can be adjusted, but will get you in the ball park of comfortable use very quickly. Tweak it from there, if necessary.
    Jeff