Thread: Carbide "Sanding" / Sanders - Duragrit Sanding tools specifically

Carbide "Sanding" / Sanders - Duragrit Sanding tools specifically

Hi anyone ...
    Happened to see a Stumpy nubs video where he was highly recommending using carbide sanding blocks, discs, etc., specifically from Duragrit.
    They seem really nice, especially since I've been going through TENS of 5" sanding discs on a big deck project, but all their stuff looks very enticing.

Anyone have experiences with these? Good, Bad, etc. ... worth the extra cost?
    I was going to jump in an buy about $100 of their stuff to try it, but thought I'd seek out the experts here!

Thanks for any input ahead of time.
    Don
    I am both an Architect & Woodworker .......
    As Architect, I don't make mistakes .... I plant vines;
    As Woodworker, I don't make mistakes .... I "meant" it to be that way;
    Then there are some of my clients that are Doctors ...... they get to bury their mistakes.

Carbide is a common enough abrasive, mostly as silicon carbide. It is not something miraculous, just another option. Buy some to try if you want to but don't rush in with a big investment until you have decided for yourself. Life of sanding discs depends on quality of manufacturing the disc as much as the abrasive particles used. Cheers

Never heard of it before. https://duragrit.com/home.php They mostly offer burrs for your Dremel. The abrasive seems to be tungsten carbide, not silicon carbide. The only thing they offer which is like sandpaper is discs to mount on a 5" ROS. The discs seem to be metal. Mounting must be a chore; they suggest a dedicated sander for each grit. And they only get down to 150 grit. That's coarse for me -- I generally sand to 320 or more.