Thread: Finishing area plan

Finishing area plan

I think I've finally decided what I'm going to do for my finishing area and mocked it up with some lumber and and old sheet (not pictured) to try it on for size. You can also see the footprint marked in blue tape in the picture. I'll be spraying water-based finishings and wiping/brushing other finishes in this area. I'm basically going to build what will look like an open face spray booth. The open wall will face to the right, by my clamp rack. the ceiling will be 7-7.5' and the floor area will be 5' deep by 6' wide. The back 1' or so will be boxed in with a wall containing filters much like a spray booth and the fan I posted in this thread will be mounted through the wall behind the filters. I also picked up 3 4-foot flourescent fixtures and a set of full-spectrum bulbs. I plan to mount one of the fixtures on the ceiling and one on each wall. to provide good lighting. When the room is done I'm planning to make some sort of curtain or shade that I can roll down over the open side after I put the finish on a project to allow it to dry while I move on to something else. I'm planning to move the counter and cabinets against the new wall and mount my hardware bins there as well. I'll then move the bandsaw into that area where it can share a dust collection drop with my drum sander. As an added bonus, I'll be able to store a little bit of lumber up top, but I'll have to be carefull not to put too much up there to provide adequate clearance to the furnace.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-11-2005 at 9:12 PM.

Lightbulb improvised spray booth

I rig up a temporary spray booth with visqueen hung off of the garage door tracks with spring clamps. I then have to cover all of the shop equipment. A pain in the neck to set up so the project has to be worth it. i don't want to dedicate space for a spray booth. But i would use one more if I had one. I am thinking about one of those 8x8 pop up tent awnings and clip on some clear visqueen on the sides. then i could even set it up in the back yard on a good day.

I have found no need for a "dedicated" finishing space since I also use water-bourne for spraying and only wipe on oils otherwise. Occasionally, I've rigged a plastic drop similar to what Peter describes to help contain overspray, especially if working on multiple projects.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The biggest reason for the dedicated area is to allow me to protect a project that is midway through the finishing process and allow me to work on something else. The one drawback I've found to my high ceilings is that its difficult to hang temporary sheeting.

matt, if you`re using a fan to evacuate the vapors where is it drawing air from? you may be pulling dust into your finishing area with this set-up? .02 tod

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    The biggest reason for the dedicated area is to allow me to protect a project that is midway through the finishing process and allow me to work on something else. The one drawback I've found to my high ceilings is that its difficult to hang temporary sheeting.
    Well, after 38 years of trying, I can't do it. If you have a 75K dustless spray room, you might get away with it. Just when you think you've done it, a fly's eyelash will fall on your finished project. I have never finished anything of any size, that something didn't contaminate it. That's why I use lacquer, buff and rub it out for a flawless finish. You'll not either, especially using a water base product. If you have an exhaust fan, why not use lacquer? It's a great way to finish wood.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I'm intrigued. How big is your shop and how much space are you giving up? Look forward to seeing your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter
    I'm intrigued. How big is your shop and how much space are you giving up? Look forward to seeing your progress.
    Shop is 30x32 with 12' ceilings. This area would be 6' wide by 5' deep with 7' ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    If you have an exhaust fan, why not use lacquer? It's a great way to finish wood.
    I really didn't want to spend the big $$$ for an explosion proof fan.

Ok...my one concern is that your heating system is located right where your finishing area appears to be planned. During the colder months, you're going to have a lot of moving air in that area...and it will in-turn be moving dust around.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So you spray in your shop? I understand the drying times with water based, but how do you keep it from getting on everything else? I have a Binks gun, but it is not HVLP. Thought about getting one, but really have not felt I had anywhere I could spray. Outside you worry about bugs, wind, etc. In the shop, how do you keep from getting it on everything else? Do you spray something as big as lets say a dresser or entertainment center or just small stuff? Lastly, what are you spraying, water based lacquer, poly?

So, you are ok with losing the space? My shop is a bit smaller 24x32 with 10 ft ceilings and I seriously considered making a small room, and didn't. Now you have me second guessing. You going to be open on one side I take it and do like a shower curtain or something?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    matt, if you`re using a fan to evacuate the vapors where is it drawing air from? you may be pulling dust into your finishing area with this set-up? .02 tod
    Yes, I will be drawing air from the rest of the shop, so it will still be necessary to keep dust down before finishing. I am however hoping that a few hours after, I can be out there doing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Ok...my one concern is that your heating system is located right where your finishing area appears to be planned. During the colder months, you're going to have a lot of moving air in that area...and it will in-turn be moving dust around.
    I've worried about that too, but I don't think it will matter where I put the finishing area. The heater has a large fan and it's air movement can be felt anywhere in the shop when it is running. The heater draws air in at the back and throws it forward and down. I'm considering putting the heater and fan on the same circuit and using a heavy duty 3-way switch (if there is such a thing?) to wire it so only one can run at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter
    So, you are ok with losing the space? My shop is a bit smaller 24x32 with 10 ft ceilings and I seriously considered making a small room, and didn't. Now you have me second guessing. You going to be open on one side I take it and do like a shower curtain or something?
    I too wanted a room, but you need a pretty decent sized room to have space to work. The basic idea is inspired by spray booths like this: http://www.paascheairbrush.com/fabf.html I'll probably have to use something else for the curtain due to the size. In my shop, this is kind of a dead corner. After adding the wall for the booth and moving the counter and bandsaw don't really affect the usable area.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-13-2005 at 5:56 PM.