Thread: Joinery and plane floats tooth angle

Joinery and plane floats tooth angle

Just curious if anyone can tell me what angle their floats teeth are filed/cut.

I've got a variety of floats, but most of them are shop made, either by me or came with other tools I was buying. All of them are different tooth geometry.

I'm setting up to make a few more floats for some projects, and while I don't mind playing around with the angles to find what works best for me, other folks may have a different preferred angle.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Hi Matt,
    I make my floats with 10° positive rake. Just to clarify, that's 10° more aggressive than zero, whereas something like a sash saw would typically be sharpened at 10° negative rake.
    I think most planemakers do the same. There's a video of Larry Williams sharpening a float on the Intertubes, should be easy to find.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Steve, do you mill your floats or file them?

My personal preference is a 5* positive rake angle on my planemakers floats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    Steve, do you mill your floats or file them?
    Hi Bruce,
    I made most of my edge floats with a file and a hacksaw. Then I acquired an old metal shaper and have used that on my more recent floats. Making a side or "bed" float with a file is pretty daunting, but an edge float is easy.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Thanks Steve, Stewie. . .

I looked at the floats I have a little more closely last night. Seems that I have floats ranging from 5 degrees negative to about 15 degrees positive, with the majority being 0-7ish degrees positive. And a good number of them have progressive tooth size and angle.

I think I'll do one each at 5 and 10 positive to see which applications the different angles might suit best. (filing a plane bed will likely work best with a slightly different angle than filing a tenon cheek, or so I would imagine.)
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Has anyone tried annealing a rasp? Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cornwall View Post
    Has anyone tried annealing a rasp? Just a thought
    This was detailed in another thread; but with files. Rasps are harder to dull and achieve smooth faces with all the pointy teeth; files are easily dulled with a bit of sand paper on a flat surface. Annealing is unnecessary and a waste of time. Draw the temper of the file to that of a handsaw, and it is now suitable to be made into and function as a float.

Sorry, I thought the process of drawing the temper to that of a handsaw was called annealing. I’m gonna see how it goes

Matt; below are a couple of photos of my planemakers Side Float and Edge Float being sharpened.

The 3rd photo shows the Left and Right Skew Edge Floats.

(Not shown in detail is the planemakers Bed Float.)

cheers Stewie;

Side Float;

Edge Float;

Left and Right Skew Edge Floats;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-25-2019 at 1:40 AM.

The planemakers Bed Float after being resharpened.

I only joint the teeth on Edge Floats.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-27-2019 at 8:13 AM.