Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood screw advice needed

I mostly use #8 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" square recess screws from McFeeleys and bulk buy them. I keep smaller quantities of longer fasteners as well as a few smaller ones. (#7 trim head 1" screws, for example, as I like them for certain situations)

Drywall screws "can" be used for woodworking, but they were NOT designed to handle joinery. They are thin, brittle and break easily. I stopped using them years ago when I moved to the screws I use now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fox
    Bob,

My understanding is that the only disadvantages to using drywall screws are:
    • Appearance
    • Low shear load rating: They hold things together, but don't use them in load-bearing applications. They're just designed to hold drywall.
    Andy
    Add to this that they look cheesy too. I use them on jigs and such which is where most of my screws go. Don't use a whole lot of screws on furniture and such, you know, real projects. Although the Kreg jig I just tried may change that on occasion. I was thinking of trying some of the pocket screws from McFeely that are for both soft and hardwoods.

Drywall screws are hardened. Basically all other screws are not. Drywall screws I find to be alright in anything softwood including plywood, but in hardwoods and mdf, they will snap off the heads. Peter

bob,check out this site.i haven't used them yet,just found them on another forum but they have some interesting starter sets.http://www.screw-products.com/

Thanks for the thread Bob. I am just starting out in woodworking and also wondered about screws I should have on hand. As always creekers come through with great and thoughtful responses. On the way is Freely's #8 and #10 combo sets with bins and #6 combo is on back order. I ordered different color bins to keep them in order. Thanks Bob and creekers.
    Last edited by Don Dean; 12-08-2005 at 6:02 PM.
    Don

As you may know, Bob happens to be just entering his self inflicted mid-life crisis --- he bought a lathe.

And as such, he'll eventually want to use a faceplate. And I'm sure he'll be interested in knowing what screw you guys would recommend for that.

I'm asking for him and myself, because I do know that I've been taking a big chance on this by using drywall screws and have just never gotten around to being smarter about it.
    Only the Blue Roads

Uh.... Andy, what's a face plate?

I'm still trying to figure out how to plug this rascal in

It has finally arrived

Hey Andy and Bob. I just went to David Mark's site and he recommended using sheet metal screws in a face plate because of the deeper threads. Yea I been reading everything I can get my hands on. I will know tonight if I have fallen of the edge or not Andy. I am still looking down at the black hole.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Spax

I really like spax.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Hey Andy and Bob. I just went to David Mark's site and he recommended using sheet metal screws in a face plate because of the deeper threads. Yea I been reading everything I can get my hands on. I will know tonight if I have fallen of the edge or not Andy. I am still looking down at the black hole.
    Bernie.....

Just close your eyes and jump

Bob I will know tonight if I am getting the Delta and if not will see how you like yours. I will probably order one like yours if I don't get the other.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the info on McFeely's now I know what to get for my father as a (gag) gift for Hannukah!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.