Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offering some shop experiences

Offering some shop experiences

Hi Folks,

There are many of us that would like to experience equipment before we buy. I am always looking to connect with people that have experience with machines/tools/supplies that I want to try.

Would it be helpful to post our locations (just city/state... no address) and basic machines/tools we have in our shops for others to experience? From there we can open our shops to those we are comfortable with.

I'm happy to open my shop in Oakton, VA to others that would like to try different tools I have, but if this seems too invasive I'll keep my trap shut. Others on this board have opened there shops to me on more than one occasion and I would love to give back.

Thoughts?

Mike

Blog Entries
    Your suggestion is a good one. We see this all the time when folks ask for help locating wood sources or identifying types of wood. You can also give back by becoming a contributor for a mere $6.00 per year.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Listing your location is easy to do in your profile, as you have done. (I’ve done some great bass fishing at the lake in Fall Church!) I assume your thought is to have a list on one thread though.

If I have a question about a particular machine is search the forum and PM or start a new thread.

Agreed that contributor status helps support this online community, and can add a level of trust.

I too enjoy helping others in how to use and adjust/set up machines as well as having people just come by. Whenever I see a post asking for advice/help I look to see where they are located because I’m willing to go to them if they’re not too far away. Being in Tx I’m used to driving an hour or more on a fairly regular basis. I think that putting your rough location is a good idea.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Mike:

I may take you up on the offer (and you're welcome here); I am in Harrisonburg, VA (less than 2 hours---I drive up that way with some frequency). I am especially interested in seeing how others organize their shops and how their dust collections systems work.

It's quite common for owners of gear from manufacturers like SCM/Minimax and Felder to provide reference and a quick shop visit to "fondle" the gear prior to making purchases. It lets them see the quality, etc., even if it's not the exact same tool/version they are considering, since these tools are not generally available to see in showrooms in most areas. These visits do not usually involve "hands on use" because that brings liability issues that nobody wants. I have done this for perhaps a dozen prospective customers of SCM/Minimax over the years when they were referred to me by the manufacturer's sales staff whom I all know personally.

The majority of folks do post their location here in their SMC profiles as has been noted.

And yes...please become a contributor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A few years back I offered a LN large smoothing plane to be shipped around so members here could try it out. It went all over the place, and many had an opportunity to try it, comment, then pass it along to the next person. It just sat in my drawer unused otherwise.

Recently was considering suggesting that same routine with dust particle meter - but then decided electronics might be too delicate to be shipping all over.

Also have had some members come and use the widebelt.

So far so good and everything returned intact.

But just building on your suggestion... its certainly been done and can be beneficial.

Several years ago when Aaron Koehl and I put together a features list for the ShopTours module we wanted to build for The Creek one of the line items was a searchable database of machines that allowed people to connect with those shopping for machines they owned.

We spent three weeks working on just the features list and worked out all of the bugs, plus we had to decide how to provide lots of information and keep personal data safe.

Sadly, we never had the chance to build our Disneyland Shop Tours area here, we never could find the funds. It would have blown everyone's hats off though, nothing like it anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-04-2019 at 8:50 AM. Reason: sp

What about a voluntary list of the machine each person owns. Have it searchable and/or part of their profile, or in a specific sub forum, allow it to be updated. People could be contacted via PM.

I’m sure you and Aaron thought this all through but I just wanted to mention it.

Matt--i'm just a lightly equipped garage/hobby shop, but you'd be welcome to come up. Side benefit is that i would have to clean up, and then i'd have room to work for the three days after your visit!! After that...probably right back to normal.

earl

WoodNet has a world map that shows where members are located, if they add their name to that database. Members can show their location by actual address, or only the city, and maybe even more generic. There is no feature in it that lists member's machines, but it looks like that could easily be added to the dialogue box that opens when you click on their marker on the map.

John

I told my sales guy after getting my Hammer A3-41 jointer/planer that if anyone one in the area was considering a similar machine, it was OK to contact me for a hands-on look and test drive. Most of us are solitary in our wood working endeavors so some occasional company would be welcomed.

Thanks, Everyone.

And thank you for the suggestion to contribute. I've been a contributor in the past and just contributed again.

Should I use this section to offer shop time, or is there a better place to do so? Any thoughts?

Mike, et all,
    It's always nice to visit with woodworkers and see how other people work. We're a solitary bunch for the most part so besides forums or working in different shops where would get other experience?
    I'm in Woodstock, about half-way between Steve (in Harrisonburg) and Mike (in Oakton). PM me if you ever want to stop in.

Also, am I alone in having a dream 'woodworkers-to-visit-roadtrip'? Or really to expand on that idea, a woodworking road trip to see and visit places related to woodworking. It's a long list for me!

I should also report that through SMC a have in fact met some great folks already, one who I correspond with on a regular basis and consider a really good pal now!