Thread: How to achieve this routed edge?

How to achieve this routed edge?

Hello all, I have a laminate counter project I'm working on. There are several pre-manufactured counters, but the island needs to be custom, so I would like to match the edge of the other counter tops. Can anyone suggest how to achieve the edge shown in the pictures? I think a cove bit would do the middle, and a 1/2" round over would definitely do the bottom. But I can't figure out how to get the top round over since the bearing would hit the middle.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Amy
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a post-formed c-top, done with heat, pressure and specific machinery. In my experience not achievable in the field.

Now if you're talking matching the profile on something like a butcher block, I imagine you could find something similar in a "one pass" router bit.

Amy, forgive me ,but I have a habit of answering a different question from what was asked. I like the factory rolled edge
    but designers and cabinet builders often deride them ,seems they just don't cost enough! I suggest a wood edge
    of a different profile. Square flush wood edge is difficult too since it's so easy to damage the laminate, I like a narrow 5/16ths
    wood edge with a bevel at top ,then it's not as hard to make even with top.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-27-2019 at 11:04 AM.

You could do the top roundover if you remove the bearing and use a fence instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    You could do the top roundover if you remove the bearing and use a fence instead.
    Amy,

Maybe a large ogee bit https://www.toolstoday.com/v-8702-49559.html followed by either a little hand work with a rasp or a roundover with a fence, as Bert suggests, for the top?

No experience with laminate, so I have no idea how you fit the laminate to the profile.