Thread: ID type of wood on this table

ID type of wood on this table

My mother-in-law picked this table at a yard sale and it was in pretty rough shape. As a gift to her eye and scrape and refinished the table with waterlox and then painted and clearcoated the apron and legs. Can anyone help us identify the kind of wood that was used to make the top and the approximate value of this drop leaf table. B1A164AD-3D8F-4CE1-A74A-8CBE262EBD80.jpgEDA78AAC-867A-422A-93E8-6C83C77DC833.jpg

No idea on the wood. Top looks a long ways from flat. Used and even antique furniture is in a horrible slump. Young people seem to be just going to Crate and Barrel, or IKEA. It would be hard for me to get $75 for it around Central IL.

It would help if we knew what continent you live on. Of course it may be wood imported from anywhere. Looks a bit like eucalyptus. Are you in Australasia or NZ?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Grzeskiewicz View Post
    ...Can anyone help us identify the kind of wood that was used to make the top and the approximate value of this drop leaf table.
    It's tree wood.

Seriously, look at the end grain with a magnifier. First determine if it's ring porous or diffuse porous, then go from there.

Looks kind of like the 50s vintage Ethan Allen furniture my grandmother had. That tended to be made out of maple, although the pictures aren't close enough to see the grain in enough detail. Maple, birch, and even poplar got used for furniture like that. Less common local woods got used as well depending on who made it and what was available. Not a lot of value in older furniture these days. We had trouble giving stuff away when the old man moved out of his house a couple years ago.

I'm guessing birch or gum. Please let me know what I win and where to pick up my prize.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA