Thread: Track Saw Blade Speeds

Question Track Saw Blade Speeds

Hi Folks: thanks to all for the knowledge sharing. Question for any track saw owners out there.
    Just purchased a makita track saw with variable blade speed settings and wondering if anyone has found a good reference for blade speed/rpm settings for various woods. So far what I’ve gathered is ~3500 rpm for mosts woods, slower for hard woods like maple or cherry. Basically looking for a chart or cheat sheet.
    Thanks.

My opinion is that any speed less than the maximum amounts to just partially crippling the saw. I see it as a useless feature.

Don't wish to sound snarky, but if varying the speed were a real difference maker then our table saws would be the machine that needs it the most.
    I have the Makita Track saw and love itq

I tried changing speeds when I first bought my Festool TS55 but it didn't seem to make any difference in the woods I work with, including sheet goods (like Baltic Birch), white and red oak, maple, cherry, walnut, and pine. Relatively little burning at the highest speed. I even think that, at lower speeds, the saw might have less power (although that wouldn't make sense given the motor and its characteristics). When ripping, especially with solid wood, make sure you use a rip blade rather than the blade likely included with your saw. The combo blades don't do well on solid wood rips.

I've set them at top speed and never adjusted it after that.

Might make sense in materials other than wood to slow it down.

thanks all for the quick replies. I had the same though regarding the table saw comment, which is really what prompted my question.
    I will also pick up a ripping blade, good info to know before I have to learn it the hard way!

I slowed my table saw and really like the change. Installed an 1800 rpm motor and VFD. I run it at 1800 most of the time but often go slower.

Disadvantages
    Sometimes it takes a few seconds longer to make a cut. I don't really care.
    In theory it makes a less smooth cut, this is offset by blade choice and feed rate

Benefits
    Makes bigger sawdust which doesn't stay airborne as long and is easier on the dust collector filter and my on lungs
    Can't throw anything at me at 100 mph, 50 mph is now the worst it can do
    Much quieter and it makes a lower frequency sound
    Less tendency to polish or burn the wood

The slower speeds may be useful with cutting aluminum or stainless steel sheet when using a special blade designed for this use.

Hi Tom: that’s interesting. Can you share details on the specific motor and VFD, brand and part numbers? I’m considering doing something similar with an old drill press I’m restoring.
    Thanks

10. I would guess that the variable speed feature is more for cutting metal or synthetic materials.

thanks, can you recommend a 6 1/2" blade that you're happy with?

Hi Arnold
    Sorry for the slow reply, was out of town.

Motor is Brook Compton 1 hp cat. WA4N001-4 frame W-DA143T-E

VFD is TECO by Westinghouse L510

In reply to your question about 6 1/2" blades... I own a Festool TS55 track saw and have always used their blades with excellent results, but I don't know if their blades will fit your saw. Over the years I've used Freud blades a lot, also with excellent results. I have also found that Freud's blades are generally reasonably priced for the quality and results. I don't know if they make a 6 1/2" blade, but assume they would.