Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 14" Shop Fox Bandsaw Gloat

Thanks for the comments, all. I've started the blade-shopping process, and a 1/2" Wood Slicer from Highland is definitely on the list. (Thanks for the link, Maurice, and yes, it's a tension release lever...very handy already.)

One minor issue I thought of last night after posting was the fact that Shop Fox was kind enough to include a metric end wrench and an allen wrench in the parts bags, to aid in the setup and adjustment. Unfortunately, these tools fit about half the fasteners you need to move. For example, to adjust the roller guides, you need the allen wrench supplied, plus one other size. The end wrench fits some of the nuts and bolts, but not the nuts and bolts that attach the saw to the base (during assembly) or the locking nuts on the tension adjuster (during use), for example. Seems like if they are gonna include tools, they should include both sizes needed.

Regarding bandsaw box ideas, heck...I wasn't looking for plans...just ideas to steal as a starting point. (John Bailey, I'm gonna adopt your suggestion as a policy: Trust the juice.) I'll do some searching here to see what comes up. I know I've seen some nice ones here.

As far as being man enough to install the riser myself, ever since I broke my back in 2001, I can't lift 80 pounds at shoulder to head height like I used to. (Especially doing it one-handed, while threading a bolt into a hole with the other hand.) I think I'll wait and get help. I'd imagine the Snap-On guy across the street and I can do it in about 5 minutes or less. I just gotta catch him before he settles in for the evening.

And Guy, your comment was taken as I'm sure it was intended, with no offense to me at all (I was laughing), but as Jim mentioned, we try to keep the tone here chilled a bit for all the kids and grandmas out there who might be looking in. (I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's much more polite and G-rated in writing than I am in person.)

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    (I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's much more polite and G-rated in writing than I am in person.)
    Um, yeah, well...(shuffles feet and tries to look innocent)

Nice score, Vaughn.

Nice Vaughn, Enjoy the new saw, looking forward to seeing more great looking boxes etc.!

Corey

Vaughn,
    That is a nice saw...enjoy it !
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Um, yeah, well...(shuffles feet and tries to look innocent)

Nice score, Vaughn.
    Yeah, but he's doing that shuffling on some killer 70's shag carpeting.

Only in LA, Only at Vaughn's.

Nice saw Vaughn. What's her name?
    Only the Blue Roads

nice rig vaughn...

whats the price difference between the shop fox and the $457.25 (shipped) G0555

thanks

oak

Carpeted floor?? And look at the purdy window treatments on the garage door. What's next...sipping wine spritzers and installing one of those new fangled spray misters that make the room smell like spring flowers

If I sound jeaulous....well....I'm not.....not very much....
    Oh heck...What Guy said

Nice saw Vaughn. I followed your quest and think you made a wise choice. I actually tried to find a Shop Fox dealer in my area but no one carries the product here. Have fun.

Congrat's Vaughn. Would appretiate some feedback myself. Hope to be looking at getting a bs come spring, I hope.

Would that be green shag carpeting?

Quote Originally Posted by oak barrett
    nice rig vaughn...

whats the price difference between the shop fox and the $457.25 (shipped) G0555

thanks

oak
    Oak, by the time I added the riser block and mobile base, the Griz was going to be pretty close to $600. I was able to drive 45 minutes during a long lunch hour Monday and pick up the same setup in white for about $650, including tax. I bought it from Battel's Hardware...I believe they're in Whittier. Nice mom and pop type of Ace hardware store that also happens to carry a bunch of WW equipment. The fact that they had 3/4" x 105" bandsaw blades on the shelf says something about the kind of store it is. I didn't have time to look around, but I told them I needed to come back sometime when I could spend a couple hours drooling on stuff.

To all you jealous folks like John W who are longing for carpeted garages, rest assured, it's not shag (I do have some class, it just doesn't show), and it's a nice seafoam green, with padauk dust highlights. And don't knock the sweet-smelling spray mister thingies...they smell better than me.

BTW, I did get the riser block installed this evening. I did have some help, but the top assembly was lighter than I'd anticipated. (Even I could lift it.) The instructions for replacing the guide arm (or whatever the part that holds the upper roller guides is called) were pretty sparse, but I figured out how to disengage the rack and pinion mechanism to get the arm out. After a bit more tuning, I was able to peel 1/32" strips off the edge of a piece of 3/4" birdseye maple, then I cut a 10" firewood log in half just for grins. Still looking forward to seeing what it'll do with good blades. I think I'll be very happy with this saw.

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 12-09-2005 at 12:59 AM.

thanks for the reply vaughn..

i assume the grizzly resaw fence will fit on that thing.... have you considered getting that as well?

Hadn't seen the resaw fence Oak, and couldn't find it in a quick look at the Griz site or catalog. Do you have a link? I'm betting your assumption about it fitting is correct. Everything else seems to be the same.

- Vaughn

None taken, and I appologize.

vaughn..

here is the link to the griz resaw fence for the g0555..

there are some threads about it on a different WW forum where one of the grzzly folks frequents... he mentions a discount to $49.95 for those forums members until the end of the year... i sent you a pm with the link...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=H7584

Last edited by oak barrett; 12-09-2005 at 12:26 PM.