Thread: Machine Quartz Top With Router Bits?

Machine Quartz Top With Router Bits?

I have a tool that is mounted on a slab of what I think is quartz. That being the case, can I machine the quartz with my carbide router bits?

I don't think so, which is why this company is offering routers for stone material starting at $900 and up, along with custom diamond router bits.

https://www.diamondtoolstore.com/stone-routers/

Andrew, I think you're right. Ill need diamond bits at least.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quartz is an odd material to be used in a machine tool. What type of machining/modification do you need to do? Holes? Slots?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a Wicked Edge knife sharpener with a quartz base. I wanted to rout out some areas of the underside in order to allow me to clip some lites onto the base. Two 2"x2" sections, not all the way thru, but enough to thin the 1 1/4" base down to about 3/4" thick.

Why not just put a sub base under it? I use a piece of quartz for various things and all I did was double sided tape a bunch of "feet" under it so I could clip my lights to it directly.

Ya...that might be my easiest solution.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    If it's nothing too precise would a Dremel/die grinder work?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You can cut it with a wet saw, maybe a little creativity can get it done with a tile saw?

I recently had quartz countertops installed in my kitchen. The hole for the sink was cut on-site using a die grinder with diamond wheel. I still have the cut-out piece and when I find a good project for it, I will probably square it up the same way. It would be nice, though, to have some sort of tools for profiles or holes etc.

A wet method is needed to lubricate and to control the respirable silica dust. I am a little nervous about creating water spray while I am using an electrified hand tool.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    A wet method is needed to lubricate and to control the respirable silica dust. I am a little nervous about creating water spray while I am using an electrified hand tool.
    Double insulated tools are your friends. So are GFCI circuits, plugs , and receptacles. Stone and concrete countertop guys use them all the time.