Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powered Air Purifying Respirators

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    I'm not familiar with many of these units either but I saw this one the other day:
    http://www.ashleyharwood.com/item/su...apr-respirator
    Has anyone here used one of these?
    Hmmmmmmmm.... interesting. Same class as the Versaflow and similar price point. They also have several other hoods some of which look a lot lighter, (one of which is soft with no hard hat that looks really interesting https://www.srsafety.com/us/sr-520-s-m-h06-0321.html). I'm sure as with the others the air supply is the expensive part. This is worth investigating further though.

I have the 3m Versaflow and really didn't like it. My main issue's with it aside from its cost, was the weight of the belt and it really wasn't convenient to use it for short periods of time.I just found the unit was uncomfortable for me to wear, so typically I didn't.

When I started to read this thread I decided to give it another go, only to find the battery wouldn't hold a charge, the cost of a new battery $250.The filter needed to be replaced which would be another $50.
    I looked at the units mentioned earlier and decided to get the JSP Powercap Active IP. Amazon doesn't sell it anymore, Pekesafety sells it for $510 shipped, Toolpost in the UK sells it for $300 shipped.I mention it in this post in the turners forum.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....rcap-Active-IP

I have only used it a few times but I really like it. Because its a self contained unit its really easy to put on, and in my case this means I will put it on for the small jobs. Its light weight, and more comfortable than the 3m unit. The only negative I found with this unit compared to the 3m was the sound of the fan. Its not loud but since its right by your head you are going to hear it more compared to a belt mounted fan.

Over all I'm very happy with this unit.

Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Check ebay for Racal they make both face and belt pumps and battery packs. 3M bought them out and changed the name. Interesting that the power cord has to be air sealed to maintain HEPA. My belt version uses regular D batteries easy to repalce when they no longer hold a charge.
    Bill D.

This what I have. paid about the same with no charger.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RACAL-Healt...8AAOSwK2JckH4u
    I have the 3M / Racal system.

I think it's a great unit, and I would HIGHLY recommend it for something like turning, were you want a face shield, or spraying, where you need different filters. However, I do find it a bit cumbersome to take on & off, to the point that I mostly just grab a little half-mask.

If I were to get another powered system, I'd want one that has the motor & battery attached to the helmet. That extra weight would easily be offset by the convenience factor.

I've been thinking about getting a Resp-o-rator:
    http://duxterity.com/resp-o-rator/

It looks goofy, but it's really quite ingenious. Of course, it's only good for wood dust & the like, so you still need something else for spraying & such.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mellor View Post
    I have the 3m Versaflow and really didn't like it. My main issue's with it aside from its cost, was the weight of the belt and it really wasn't convenient to use it for short periods of time.I just found the unit was uncomfortable for me to wear, so typically I didn't.

When I started to read this thread I decided to give it another go, only to find the battery wouldn't hold a charge, the cost of a new battery $250.The filter needed to be replaced which would be another $50. .
    Same here, Richard. I have three batteries for my 3M, which I haven't worn in about a year.
    I just checked, and all three (which were nearly new last year) are completely dead & won't take a charge.

Well, new systems use Li-ion, and the batteries are much smaller & lighter, anyway.
    I'm going to see if I can rig my own power system using them, attached to my current blower and helmet.

I have a predecessor to the Versaflow - read "old" - and replaced the brick-heavy ni-cad battery pack with a very small lightweight lith-ion USB rechargeable battery. I use velcro the attach the battery to the motor unit and works very well for a full turning day.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Grant, can you tell us specifically what you used?

That's exactly what I want to do

@Allan: I have two of the battery packs. One is from Jockery and the other from Aukey. This is the Jockery one that I have:
    https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Porta...2351&s=gateway
    The Aukey one is bigger and gives me more run time.
    If you look on Amazon for "portable cell phone chargers", you will find dozens of them.
    Here is a link to a Youtube video that got me started on this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0m9n9Iog7w
    My unit is a bit different from either of Alan's, but get you get the idea. I mount the battery with velcro to the blower unit on my belt. I don't notice the weight at all and I can turn all day on it. The battery pack that Alan uses is no longer available and the direct new model will not work, because it will not take the amperage draw of our blower motors.
    The key to choosing a battery pack is to make sure that the usb output port will take a draw of at least 2 amps. Many of them are rated to 1.2 amps and they will not power our motors. The internal "breaker" will trip and it will not put out any power.
    Many of the available units have 2 or more output usb ports. As long as one of them will accept a draw of 2 amps, you're good to go.
    Last edited by Grant Wilkinson; 04-26-2019 at 8:02 AM.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I've had my Airstream by 3M for 14-15 years. Very happy with it. I tried the Trend back then. It broke when I tested it in the Woodcraft, just lifting the face mask. It could have been an anomaly, but the Airstream was clearly higher quality components and I paid the extra dough. Never looked back. I can't speak to either companies new offerings. The Airstream works so well when I use it I have never thought to replace it. Batteries are expensive, but I have only needed three so far, in all that time, and I found a simple hack for a USB LI DYI kit when this latest one dies.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

All this is great input guys! I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I just took possession of a new Grizzly G0442 cyclone DC and I'm probably going to spend the better part of the summer building a small outbuilding connected to my shop and running duct-work so there will be a bit of a hiatus on on making hardwood sawdust while I focus on that project. I hope to be able to try on all three options if I can find some local suppliers. My heart and mind still lean towards the Versaflo but my wallet is pushing back at their emotion and logic.

Grant,

thanks for that info.