Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your Dream Chop/Miter Saw?

What's your Dream Chop/Miter Saw?

If price, space, and dust collection were of absolutely ZERO concern, which Saw, Brand, and Model would you get and why?

Chop, Miter, or Compound Miter – Sliding or not Sliding?
    Maybe you’d just stick with your beloved Table Saw and Crosscut Jig?

What would you love to use it for?
    What headache would it cure?

The sky’s the limit! What’s your dream?
    Last edited by James Curry; 03-30-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Formatting

In what world are price, space, and dust collection not important? None.

I'm only a hobbyist, so I don't "need" Mafell and other amazing brands. So I'd still choose the 12" Makita CMS I bought a few years back. (Predecessor to the current LS1221.) It makes crosscutting long pieces much easier for me.

If space and (sufficient) crosscut accuracy were available, I might opt for a DW sliding CMS. But if I get the itch, I might buy an old RAS instead.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Have to agree with that. Those are some major deciding factors.

That being said, I’d take a RAS. Make/model is another discussion.

The feature I'd like the most is 75 degree miter and bevel in at least one direction. I know, it's not going to happen but that's the feature that'd improve the saw the most for what I use them for.

In that fantasy world our children live in, but even us big kids can have dreams.What's your Miter Saw Dream?

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    In that fantasy world our children live in, but even us big kids can have dreams.What's your Miter Saw Dream?
    I don’t get it.

Perfect dust collection and perfect 90’s, in a saw that doesn’t need realignment and has infinite depth of cut. But that’s not going to happen. I prefer reality. Call me a grinch I guess.

I have a kapex and omga saw. I can’t imagine any saw being better than either one.
    I also have a dewalt, hitachi, and 2 dewalts.
    They will all do the job right. But the omga is just insane

I've never used anything better than an omga chop saw

The question was posed as these issues were of "ZERO concern" instead of "not important". I think you are reading too much into the question, or everyone else is reading too little. When I read the question, I assumed for the sake of the discussion that the price, space and DC had already been resolved and the unresolved question was which machine to insert into the prepared space. I could be wrong.

Besides the difference in cut capacity I wonder if a Unipoint would rival an Omga in accuracy and cut quality?

Price no object I would buy a new Northfield Machinery Unipoint. Check out the specs.
    http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...tRadialSaw.pdf

A Unipoint is far and away a better more capable saw than an Omga. More capacity and angles in every single way.
    The ONLY place an Omga shines over the Unipoint is the speed it can adjust to a new setting in its limited range.
    For a CHOP saw, an Omga or Derda, and one or two others I can’t remember are about the best there is.
    I liked my Kapex for some of the occasional shop work I was using it for.....
    BUT, I brought it to the jobsite, and it’s inadequacies are hugely, glaringly obvious. There is no doubt it is only a 10” machine, and underpowered at that. Regardless of their claim that “it has the cut capacity of a 12” saw”.
    Nope, not even close.
    Last edited by peter gagliardi; 03-30-2019 at 8:34 PM.

https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

I really dislike radial arm saws.

I'd rather use a sliding tablesaw for just about anything a radial arm saw will do.