Thread: Live edge Black Walnut bowls

Live edge Black Walnut bowls

Figured since I shared the kennel on here, I should share some of my recent turnings too. Just a little introduction I guess.

I started turning in February of 2017 and dove into the hobby hard after getting the bug. My first lathe was a Rikon 220vsr and not too long after that I found a VB36 locally. Built a shop to house it all and it's been downhill since.

Edit: Here is a link to a boat load of photos I've taken over time, mainly of bowls. https://photos.app.goo.gl/bgFjaX9LZzf8Si539

Last year I got my hands on a black walnut tree that fell during hurricane Michael. Most of the trunk of the tree was hollow, but I grabbed everything I could use. Here are a couple of live edge bowls I turned from that tree.

The finish is eight coats of high gloss tung oil. The larger ones are 13" long. There was one more oblong bowl in the set, but it was already claimed by my wife before I could even think to put it into my sales booth. lol

Walnut live edge bowls.jpg
    Last edited by Kenneth Batten; 03-31-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added a link

Ken, the link to the bowl collection is amazing. Thanks for the link and the great pictures.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Myers View Post
    Ken, the link to the bowl collection is amazing. Thanks for the link and the great pictures.
    Greg
    Thanks Greg!

Wow, that's an amazing portfolio of pictures in your link! I have so many questions, I can't even get started. Nice work!

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    Wow, that's an amazing portfolio of pictures in your link! I have so many questions, I can't even get started. Nice work!

David
    lol, thanks!! Ask away!

You've been busy in that short time! Do you ever sleep?

I especially like the vessel with the dark exterior.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You've been busy in that short time! Do you ever sleep?

I especially like the vessel with the dark exterior.

JKJ
    I think about sleeping when I'm at work. lol I spend every moment of my day doing something, either turning, working or spending time with the family. That ethic runs in my family, fortunately. Plus, I go into work earlier if needed and when I don't, I just go turn something in order to keep my sleep schedule.

Thanks, John! That vessel is made from pecan, burnt on the outside to give it contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Batten View Post
    I think about sleeping when I'm at work. lol I spend every moment of my day doing something, either turning, working or spending time with the family. That ethic runs in my family, fortunately. Plus, I go into work earlier if needed and when I don't, I just go turn something in order to keep my sleep schedule.
    I love that work/family ethic! Most of my time is family, farm, kids at church and otherwise, and a very limited time turning. I did turn a few decoy eggs recently to entice chickens, guineas, and peahens to lay eggs in certain places. Fortunately I do get to spend some other time in my shop since it is multi-functional besides the woodturning - some teaching, machining, welding, farm maintenance, animal care, etc.

At the moment I have about 40 chicks in the back room of the shop, hatched last week. A corner of the shop is perfect for the incubator and hatcher since the heat pump keeps the temperature from varying too much through the day.

chicks_3_19_B.jpg chicks_3_19_A.jpg chicks_incubators.jpg

If you are turning this much now, think of the time you can make after you retire! Hmm, except I've been retired since 2006 and I seem to have less time for turning now than when I was working 50 hrs a week!

Hey, have you tried much spindle turning? Experts like Raffan, Darlow, Rowling, Clewes and a bunch of others have pointed out that it is great for developing fine tool control. I've turned a bunch of bowls and platters over the years but I like even more turning a variety of spindles, boxes, and other end grain pieces.

Is there a good turning club near you? I've driven through the area many times but never been to Albany.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I love that work/family ethic! Most of my time is family, farm, kids at church and otherwise, and a very limited time turning. I did turn a few decoy eggs recently to entice chickens, guineas, and peahens to lay eggs in certain places. Fortunately I do get to spend some other time in my shop since it is multi-functional besides the woodturning - some teaching, machining, welding, farm maintenance, animal care, etc.

At the moment I have about 40 chicks in the back room of the shop, hatched last week. A corner of the shop is perfect for the incubator and hatcher since the heat pump keeps the temperature from varying too much through the day.

If you are turning this much now, think of the time you can make after you retire! Hmm, except I've been retired since 2006 and I seem to have less time for turning now than when I was working 50 hrs a week!

Hey, have you tried much spindle turning? Experts like Raffan, Darlow, Rowling, Clewes and a bunch of others have pointed out that it is great for developing fine tool control. I've turned a bunch of bowls and platters over the years but I like even more turning a variety of spindles, boxes, and other end grain pieces.

Is there a good turning club near you? I've driven through the area many times but never been to Albany.

JKJ
    Speaking of farming, that will become a part of my life as well, mostly caring for planted pines though. Hatching chicks would be entertaining!

I need to to do more spindle work. It want to use it for a warm up at the very least.

We do have a club in Tifton, it’s not sanctioned with the AAW, but we do demonstrations and "show and tell". Plus some good southern food is usually on the menu as well. I try to get there monthly and perform a few demonstrations myself.

Nice VB36.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Nice VB36.
    Thanks! It’s my favorite! I really lucked out on finding it, as I was only looking for a larger lathe at the time.

May I ask about your application process of your high gloss tung oil to get such a shiny finish? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Hogan View Post
    May I ask about your application process of your high gloss tung oil to get such a shiny finish? Thanks
    8 coats, two per day since they need to be 12 hours apart. Lightly sand with 800 between coats to get rid of dust nibs and runs. Just remember to apply even, light coats. The last coat has to have the best coverage, any missed spots will show up.

I checked out your bowls, very nice effort.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bachtel View Post
    I checked out your bowls, very nice effort.
    Appreciate it!