Thread: "New" Stanley No 7

"New" Stanley No 7

I just bought a barn find no 7 to rehab. It is missing a lever cap. I have rehabbed several no 4s and have fabricobbled several parts but before I try a lever cap I was wondering if swapping in a narrower lever cap from a no 4 would dramatically affect the performance? I am guessing an increased chance at chatter but wondered if anyone had some real use feedback.

Blog Entries
    Mike, the best way to find out is to give it a try.

My guess is if the space from the pressure edge to the lever cap screw is the same it could work.

It may just look odd. Besides, if you do it by trial and error it keeps me from having to put on my shoes to go out to the shop to give it a try.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The #4 lever cap would work, but it's not optimum. #7 lever caps are available on ebay for about $25. This will be a much better solution.
    Good luck on your rehab.

Allen

lol Jim. I think I'll be trying it out when I get it restored because Allen your $25 is $32.50 CDN without shipping and I've yet to see one for less than $40US before shipping. I will still keep an eye out but its looking like trial and error may be more cost effective. Thanks for the replies and help guys.

I just read in another location that the 4 1/2 abd 6 are the same size lever cap. Allen, I may have been inadvertently driving the price up by limiting my search to no 7. Back to the bay

Blog Entries
    I just read in another location that the 4 1/2 abd 6 are the same size lever cap.
    The later #5-1/2 planes (after 1939) also use 2-3/8" blades and lever caps.

Record and Clifton parts would likely also work.

My #4-1/2 came with a lever cap of the right size from a transitional plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Good to know...more options are good

Mike, If you possess any metal talent and can secure some thicker brass (or a piece of steel) you can make a cap with a knurled screw instead of the Stanley lever. That’s what some of the plane manufacturers use/used on their planes.

A screw adjust cap will work every bit as well as the original Stanley cap. I bet some of Stanley’s competition may have said it would work better!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Mike, If you possess any metal talent and can secure some thicker brass (or a piece of steel) you can make a cap with a knurled screw instead of the Stanley lever. That’s what some of the plane manufacturers use/used on their planes.

A screw adjust cap will work every bit as well as the original Stanley cap. I bet some of Stanley’s competition may have said it would work better!
    With any talent for working on metal one could even use a donor lever from an old lever cap. There is at least one spare in my junk accumulations.

jtk

I may consider this option even though my only talent with metal is a few Metallica and Pantera riffs lol

The spare lever cap I have came from a Stanley #29......it is the right width, getting it across the border might be the problem....
    Lever Caps, wide one.JPGIMG_8003.JPG
    And, sitting beside a 2" wide lever cap..
    lever caps.JPG
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-05-2019 at 5:23 PM.

Steven, Sometimes I think you and I are amongst the very few who like the transitional planes.

I’m on a kick to get some of mine back into use.

IMG_2603 (640x480).jpg
    Ehhhh...could be...

To ship via Flat Rate box = $26 and change.....to ship in a padded envelope = $10 + cost of the envelope....

Thanks Steven I'll keep my eyes open for that